Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing/ubuntu/kubuntu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 desanti

desanti

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

Hi: i have a distro from linux mag(ubuntu),also a downloaded kubuntu on cd.
i can install pemanently or work from cd(ala knoppix).i installed permanently once
but had problems such as:
1.i could not see my desktop as i did in windows.

2.i have two HD's but evidently linux saw them as one.

3.i would like to install either os(k)ubuntu since i have two pc's.

any help would be appreciated;but i would appreciate clear step by step instructions;or a link to
where i might find same. thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

If you would be a little more specific about the problems, I am sure someone would be glad to help. First, what do you mean by "i could not see my desktop as i did in windows.". You are talking about two different operating systems operating in two very different manners. If you are talking about accessing your Windows from partition, that can be done pretty easily.

i have two HD's but evidently linux saw them as one

What do you mean? Did you install Linux on a second drive? If so, then Linux is not going to see your Windows partition unless you tell it to. Windows is not going to see your linux partition either.

As far as instructions, each distro should have it's own web site with sufficient documentation.

#3 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

If you can't find it here, and it's according to each different version of Ubuntu, then I wouldn't know where else you could look.

https://help.ubuntu.com/

Edited by Joedude, 02 July 2007 - 02:00 PM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#4 Dennis1

Dennis1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:18 AM

if you want to write to other disks you need something like "NTFS configuration tool" which is available through add&remove via your applications list, or the "synaptic package manager" which is available from system>administration.hth.

Forgot to add you can get loads of help here. http://ubuntuforums.org/

Edited by Dennis1, 05 July 2007 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users