Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Final Cut Pro Video Editor Mac Requirements Needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wordsmith1776

wordsmith1776

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

My son is starting college in videography, and needs to know the standard requirements to install the digital video editor "Final Cut Pro" (current version) on a Mac; can anyone assist? And, which Mac should he be considering? The Mac needs to "grow" with his video needs.

Thanks

Richard in Louisiana

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

Right from Apples site HERE:

Minimum Requirements to Install All Final Cut Studio Applications
A Macintosh computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor
1GB of RAM
An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)
A display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher
Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
QuickTime 7.1.6 or later
A DVD drive for installation
Recommended Configurations
The following are recommended for all applications:

2GB of RAM when working with compressed HD and uncompressed SD sources
4GB of RAM when working with uncompressed HD sources
Available Disk Space
4GB of disk space required to install all applications (Final Cut Pro, Color, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, Cinema Tools, LiveType, Compressor, and Apple Qmaster)
Additional 55GB required to install all optional templates, content, and tutorials (may be installed on separate disks):
9GB for DVD Studio Pro content
8GB for Motion templates and tutorial media
24GB for Soundtrack Pro audio content
12GB for LiveFonts and LiveType animated elements and templates
2GB for Apple Pro Training Final Cut Studio Tutorials media

For lap tops, I'd go with one of the Mac Book Pros. Probably one of the 2.4Ghz ones (15" or 17" display).

For a computer (desktop, not laptop), I'd go with Mac Pro-see about getting another 1Gig of RAM though. This computer is fast...so fast it'll run final cut pro when it's turned off! :flowers:

Unless I'm mistaken, most Laptops are hard to upgrade yourself (they don't grow with you). Desktops on the other hand, are very easy to upgrade. With the Mac pro, it's fast enough that it'll be a long time before you'll need to upgrade it. :thumbsup:

EDIT: 1-800-MY APPLE :trumpet:

Edited by stevealmighty, 02 July 2007 - 01:12 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users