Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod 0x00000023

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Crippen

Crippen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

Hi everyone, my name's Dave, I'm a bumbling idiot from Sheffield, UK, who knows very liitle about the insides of computers.

Every time I turn the machine on I recieve the follow message

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer, remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000007B (0xf9e8463c, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Fastfat System - address B908891c etc...

Does anyone know how I cure this problem?
Many, many thanks
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

Try the suggestion that is in the error message -run Chkdsk.

Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems. The tool then tries to repair any that it finds. For example, Chkdsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors. To use Chkdsk, you must log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

Follow these steps to run chkdsk:
Click Start, Run...
Type cmd
Type in chkdsk /f

More info: How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
JC

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

Both the STOP 0x23 and the STOP 0x7B errors can be caused (most commonly) by file system corruption or hard drive failure. I'd suggest that the first step here would be to backup your data in the event that the hard drive is dying.

After running chkdsk /f, try downloading a bootable diagnostic utility from the website of the hard drive manufacturer and running the tests on the suspect hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Crippen

Crippen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Guys,

Sorted.

Best wishes
Dave