Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does My Dl & Ul Speeds Seem Very Low For Rr Cable?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

I think I'm getting crappy speed from my internet provider RR NYC. I understand I'm at their lower cap rate, something like 2-5 mbps. Does that sound right? I've done several tests from several speed test sites. I've got the modem hooked directly to my laptop. I select NYC as my "region". Basically I get the same speed rate every time: 745 kbps DL & 124 kbps UL. Doesn't that seem low? What's a respectable DL & UL rate for cable? Any suggestion to help speed up (other than paying for the higher CAP/Tier from RR).
Thanks!
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brewzer400

brewzer400

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

I'm not sure what hook-up you have, being that it's roadrunner it should be cable-modem and not DSL. But those are approx. DSL speeds you're getting.

DSL = 128 - 768kbps upload /// 128kbps - 6Mbps download (roughly)
Cable modem = 384 - 768kbps - (1Mbps in certain markets) upload /// 4Mbps - 6Mbps - 8Mbps download (average)

Is there alot of new construction (homes, apartments?) in your area? What is the main Test site you're using to test your speeds? you tried www.Speakeasy.net ? That's been the most reliable one i've seen as of yet and what we normally recommend here. go to the site and the test option is in the bottom right corner of the screen. If you're getting the same speeds there as you are everywhere else. It may be a maintenence issue that RR needs to deal with, though they'll prolly make you wait for a tech to come out first and check the lines. Usually on slow conenction problems it ends up being that the area lines have too many people on a single Tap for your neighborhood, or simply a bad dropline leading to the house.

Either way, see if you can test it at speakeasy and see what it comes up with, Odds are you'll have to call RR and let them know of the problem though to get anywhere on it. When it comes to connection speeds, really not much on your side of the lines that will be doing much to slow it down.
One By one the penguins steal my sanity...

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

Here in Baton Rouge the low end Cable is 768Kbps\256Kbps and the high end is 12Mbps\1.5Mbps.
What does your contract say?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users