Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Very Slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Asha Nair

Asha Nair

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:21 AM

I am using Windows XP prof. SP2, and find it very slow to work with. It is slow at start up, while working, and also while shut down. I have checked for virus, spywares, adware, etc. I think that this may be due to low memory/ RAM. I have 256 MB of RAM, and my PC is P4 1.7 GHZ. Is there any ways to speed up the PC with existing specs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:23 AM

I am using Windows XP prof. SP2, and find it very slow to work with. It is slow at start up, while working, and also while shut down. I have checked for virus, spywares, adware, etc. I think that this may be due to low memory/ RAM. I have 256 MB of RAM, and my PC is P4 1.7 GHZ. Is there any ways to speed up the PC with existing specs?

256 MB of RAM is somewhat low for your system setup. Is upgrading with more RAM out of the question for you, or do you see that as a possibility? As for the startup, do you have a lot of programs start up when you boot your computer?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

Check out Bleeping Computer's Slow Computer Checklist.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

Personally, I wouldn't want to be without less than 1 Gig of memory. Anything under that would cause your system to crawl. 256MB is only enough to get XP running. All of your applications will end up swapping out to disk. --this causes the system to slow down. Upgrading is your only option here.( besides downgrading your operating system)

Try this site to determine your needs. -- http://www.crucial.com/

Edited by Joshuacat, 02 July 2007 - 08:46 AM.

JC

#5 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

Like the poster above said, 256 MB is barely sufficient for XP. It would be accessing the swap/paging file too often, and the HDD is usually the performance bottleneck in a computer all other factors being normal. So upgrade your RAM to atleast 512 MB. XP will run fine with 512.

The only other options you have would be to disable unnecessary background services and items in your startup tray. Also, run a disk cleanup, either using the windows diskcleanup function (right click on your HDD and goto tools) or Ccleaner. Follow it up with a complete defrag of your harddrives.

#6 Asha Nair

Asha Nair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I am planning to upgrade, but as my PC has not even given me a single problem, I don't want to dispose it. That is the problem.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:28 AM

Adding RAM won't harm your PC (as long as you follow the instructions exactly) and it's the quickest way to speed up a system.

After that, the slow computer checklist that Budapest mentioned is your best bet. Over time Windows gets bloated with extra stuff that remains in memory - and not all of it is easy to find and remove. But you can improve the performance by using the checklist - it just won't be up to the "out of the box" speed that you remember.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Asha Nair

Asha Nair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

Thank you for the response and advice. Do you know any websites that sell these type of products at reasonable prices, and ship globally?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users