Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Does Not Start Services

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 compugen

compugen

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:32 AM

Hi

Its a weird thing happened to my windows. I installed MAC sometime back and was dual booting the machine. Things went fine for week or so, but yesterday when I started the XP thing I got errors:
It checked the disk for errors
Deleted the index files
Changed some security thing on almost all files.

Since then when I boot into windows, I do not see task bar, copy function does not work, when I check services it is only 20 something, earlier there were 48. However, all the software are working. I can run internet, etc etc.

I tried turning following services on:
RPC
ALG
ALERTER
WMI

and couple of more and I got error 5: Access denied every time. I did sfc /scannow as well, but it did not ask me for any disk; so I assume things went fine in there as well.

Please let me know what can be done to save my poor lappy, I have critical data which I can not stake.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:40 AM

I'd suggest a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm It'll save all of your programs and data.

If that doesn't work for you, let us know the make and model of your lappy and we can work from there. There's other ways to recovery the data, so don't resort to a format and reinstall just yet.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 compugen

compugen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

Thanks!!

Will try it right now :-)

Bleeping Computer rox! :thumbsup:

#4 compugen

compugen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

Ok, I got the cd and did the repair install. It restarted to the GUI phase. And without doing anything it stopped saying that it can not continue. I opened the log and it says something like:
SETUPQRY: d:\i386\asms not found.
SetupQry: Complete setup fail.

Couple of more things... as of now, It tries to start setup everytime I try restarting lappy.

::EDIT::

The error code is 0x80040201. Some reg server and couple of dlls fails. It says components of windows are missing.

TIA

Edited by compugen, 04 July 2007 - 09:18 AM.

#5 compugen

compugen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:10 AM

any one???

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:31 AM

A quick search on the web turned up that most 0x80040201 errors seem to be caused by Outlook/Outlook Express. One fix I read was to create a new profile in Outlook, import your data over to the new profile and then delete the old profile. Hope this helps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 compugen

compugen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:45 AM

A quick search on the web turned up that most 0x80040201 errors seem to be caused by Outlook/Outlook Express. One fix I read was to create a new profile in Outlook, import your data over to the new profile and then delete the old profile. Hope this helps.

Thanks for reply. However, I am unable to complete the setup.. was doing a repair install.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:55 AM

I assume the d: drive on your computer is the CD/DVD drive. Perhaps your XP CD is damaged, which is why it couldn't find "d:\i386\asms". Do you have access to another disk you can try (maybe borrow a friends)?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 compugen

compugen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:06 AM

I assume the d: drive on your computer is the CD/DVD drive. Perhaps your XP CD is damaged, which is why it couldn't find "d:\i386\asms". Do you have access to another disk you can try (maybe borrow a friends)?

I burnt a new cd. I can access the folder when I try to access it in other pc.... It says some windows components could not be found etc etc...

Earlier I could login to the windows and do nothing, partially. I could access internet, could use my software yahoo..flash... msn etc etc. But I could not use basic things like copy command, I could not see taskbar... I could use outlook 2007 but I could not send/receive items... stuff like that.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

Maybe your hard drive is heading south? Try downloading a diagnostic tool from the website of the drive manufacturer to test it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 compugen

compugen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

Did a check.. its working fine.
Ok here is the deal. I have mac installed on my intel machine.. and that thing is working fine but I can not login to the XP now. What happened was I tried accessing NTFS drive/xp drive using macFuse by google via MAC and then the ordeal started. I booted in XP and it greeted with a blue screen saying some checks needed to be performed, after that I could see certain security id things like deleting security file something... from index.. and then it was replacing security id blah blah file number x... x started off from 1, i guess, and I could see it going to 129888 something.

Still i ran a diag disk and it says that it is fine... though not long I guess. The moment i get onto xp am gonna backup everything

#12 compugen

compugen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

someone lemme know what to do.... is there ANYYYYYYYYYYYY option other than rebuilding the whole lappy?? It has loads of software, some of which I have no idea where to get from... my critical data files. By critical I really really mean critical to my company...

Waiting for my angel to come n rescue me :thumbsup:

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

I'm out of ideas on how to fix this. First thing I would do is to use something like a UBCD to copy the critical files off the computer.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 compugen

compugen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

am i heading towards a new build :flowers: :thumbsup:

#15 compugen

compugen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:04 AM

Took the backup as you have said. But still is there any hope of getting it back via repair install or something? Or should i rebuild the whole thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users