Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"folder Options" Disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 greenspace

greenspace

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:26 AM

Hi,

When I go to the "Tools" menu on my explorer window, the "Folder Options" has disappeared! :thumbsup: This is strange, as I was using that option a few days back.

I checked my Control Panel and found that the "Folder Options" is missing from even this place. I don't know how to get it back. Can someone please help me?

Also, one more thing I want to mention (may be this is linked to the above) is that when I right click on a file/folder and click Properties, the properties dialog box does not appear during some sessions but work fine during other sessions using the same login.

I'll appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:36 AM

See Kelly's Korner.

Restore Folder Options Under Tools - #129 on the left.

As this is a registry edit you should backup the registry first.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 johnburn

johnburn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:51 AM

This usually cause by malware infection.
Update your AV and scan your system.

#4 greenspace

greenspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

What John Burn mentioned seems to be correct. Now I could see many other symptoms which indicate that my comp. is infected. When I start my comp, immediately I get a message saying "temp.exe encountered problem. Need to shut down" and them it forcibly SHUTS DOWN my computer. I cannot even run a scan as it will not stop even a few minutes after starting the machine and immediately give the message and do it's work.

After some research, I found that it is a VIRUS, called Temp.exe. There may be others, but I don't know how to identify them apart from the system related exe files. Please help me deal with this situation.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:07 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode? If so, try running your virus scans from there.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 greenspace

greenspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:33 AM

Hi Budapest!

Thank you so much.

Safe mode is exactly what I tried yesterday. I also collected some ammunitions to deal with those bugs in my computer. I downloaded a free program from Microsoft website to detect and remove viruses and other malwares. I ran it in safe mode. It worked! It detected some 747 entries and set the system to normal. Then for safety, I again run AVG latest update and it detected 36 THREATS and quarantined them. Now my system SEEMS to be fine (the nasty message did not reappear to shut down my system!), but I have still check to be sure.

Thanks friends!

About the Disappeared "Folder Options":
I could not understand this, Budapest. If I'm not disturbing you much, could you please explain this a bit? I'll be very glad.

"Restore Folder Options Under Tools - #129 on the left." --------> What is #129 on the left?
"As this is a registry edit you should backup the registry first. "

Thank you very much once again!

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:45 AM

So I assume your folder options haven't come back?

To try and get it back you should go to the Kelly's Korner web site. Once on that website scroll down to number 129 where you will see:

Restore Folder Options Under Tools

Click on this and save the folderoptions.reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on this file to merge it into your registry, which should fix the problem.

As with any registry edit, you should always backup your registry before hand in case something goes wrong and you want to restore it to it's previous state.

How To Back Up The Registry

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 greenspace

greenspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:52 AM

Hi,

I tried to do what was mentioned on the link that you gave me. But when I g to Start > Run > Regedit and press OK, a message says "Registry Editing has been disabled by your administrator". This is my personal comp. and I have full admin. rights on it.

What does the message mean?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:16 AM

It means that the virus disabled regedit.

There is a fix for this at Kelly's Korner.

Lift Restrictions - TM, Regedit and CMD - #275 on the left.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 greenspace

greenspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:30 AM

Thanks Budapest!

I'll try it and get back to you.

#11 greenspace

greenspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:17 PM

Hey, it worked! :thumbsup:

Thank you...Thank you...Thank you...a thousand times friend!
Thank you for your patience and thank you for your guidance...
May you be blessed with more knowledge!
Thank you once again and many times more :flowers:

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

I'm glad to hear it worked out. :thumbsup:

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users