Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Color Profiles To Match Monitors?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:27 AM

Does anyone know how or where I can download color profiles so that both my HP f1903 19" Flat-LCD Monitor (for my desktop PC) AND my Toshiba Satellite laptop, so that images appear the same on both monitors?

I hope I'm making sense here... :thumbsup: LOL

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

I don't quite understand your question, Daniel.

Are they both running the same Operating System?

Do they have the same screen settings (i.e. 1024 x 768)?

Is either, or both, a wide screen display?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

JohnWho:

Firstly, yes, they're both running the same OS, which is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2. The screen resolutions are different. My desktop is 1280x1024 and my laptop is 1280x800. Just the latter is widescreen.

I don't know if such a thing exists, but I just want to be able to load a color profile into each so that the same given image will appear identical as far as color is concerned.

Again, I hope I'm making sense. I'm doing my best to explain this all. :thumbsup:

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:32 PM

Have you tried just using the default color profiles (settings)? Having a program running in the back ground that will try to match both monitors will be "another program running in the background" that will tie up your computers resources.

Rather than adjusting profiles and tinkering with programs-I'd just adjust the color manually on one monitor to get it to look more like the other monitor. While this may seem like a pain, you'll have to do it anyways if you use a program to create a profile. Just pick which monitor you like best (or one at random) and then adjust the other monitors RGB and Brightness/Contrast settings so that it looks similar to the other monitor (easier than it sounds, really).

Just some food for thought! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

Have you tried just using the default color profiles (settings)? Having a program running in the back ground that will try to match both monitors will be "another program running in the background" that will tie up your computers resources.

Rather than adjusting profiles and tinkering with programs-I'd just adjust the color manually on one monitor to get it to look more like the other monitor. While this may seem like a pain, you'll have to do it anyways if you use a program to create a profile. Just pick which monitor you like best (or one at random) and then adjust the other monitors RGB and Brightness/Contrast settings so that it looks similar to the other monitor (easier than it sounds, really).

Just some food for thought! :thumbsup:

You try adjusting the color settings of one monitor to another and tell me that you don't get frustrated. There ARE easier ways.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Hi Daniel -

I think we understand your problem now.

Unfortunately, different monitors on different video cards would rarely show the identical images in a way that would look exactly the same. Besides the brightness and contrast adjustments on the monitor, the video card may also have a way to change brightness, contrast, gamma, and more.

I would suggest, somewhat as Stevealmighty has, that you pick the one monitor that is most acceptable to you, and then try to adjust the other one to get it as close as you can to that first one, if you don't want to try adjusting both of them to a common look.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hi Daniel -

I think we understand your problem now.

Unfortunately, different monitors on different video cards would rarely show the identical images in a way that would look exactly the same. Besides the brightness and contrast adjustments on the monitor, the video card may also have a way to change brightness, contrast, gamma, and more.

I would suggest, somewhat as Stevealmighty has, that you pick the one monitor that is most acceptable to you, and then try to adjust the other one to get it as close as you can to that first one, if you don't want to try adjusting both of them to a common look.

Okay, I see where you folks are coming from, but what is the purpose of "Color Management" in Windows? This area can be accessed by going to Control Panel > Display Properties > Advanced > Color Management.

Apparently "color profiles" can be added, removed and set. Does this have anything to do with what I'm talking about?

Thanks again, guys! You rock!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

Okay, I see where you folks are coming from, but what is the purpose of "Color Management" in Windows? This area can be accessed by going to Control Panel > Display Properties > Advanced > Color Management.

Apparently "color profiles" can be added, removed and set. Does this have anything to do with what I'm talking about?

Control Panel > Display Properties > Advanced > Color Management.....then click on "Add". From here, simply pick one that you like, although you might want to double check to ensure that the other monitor has the same profile loaded. Select the same profile for either screen, then you'll probably have to adjust one screen or the other individually to get it to more resemble the other one. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:34 AM

Control Panel > Display Properties > Advanced > Color Management.....then click on "Add". From here, simply pick one that you like, although you might want to double check to ensure that the other monitor has the same profile loaded. Select the same profile for either screen, then you'll probably have to adjust one screen or the other individually to get it to more resemble the other one. :thumbsup:

Stevealmighty:
I had no idea there was an entire folder full of these color profiles. I clicked "add" and like magic, they were there. Thank you so much for directing me to something that should have been so obvious to me. Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:44 AM

Glad to help out! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users