Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Stay On...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 J_C

J_C

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:02 PM

Ok, my best friend has requested my help and I've been doing all I can to figure out the problem, but I can't find anything by searching on google. Alright, the problem is this. His computer has been completely turning off, freezing, or sometimes the keyboard doesn't even work. It's been needing to be turned off to be cooled lately too, but he does and it cools down and is fine. In fact, since he took Yahoo! messenger completely off his computer, it's been doing a lot better. In the past few days, his pc was working better than it had in a long while because the messenger was gone. The other morning, he woke up and couldn't get it to work, he'd been shut down completely. I guess he was fed up or something because he did a factory reboot, and now when he tries to turn it back on, he can stay on for five to fifteen minutes to tell me information about how to help him, but then it shuts off again and has to be unplugged to get to working. It does those loops where it will go to the log in screen and then back out to restart again, and that's why he has to unplug it. I told him that he should go and write down the BSOD error numbers the next time it happened and I got them, and they are:

0x00000d1(0x00000915,0x00000007,0x00000000,0xf74842d7)

0x0000000a(0,00000003,0x00000002,0x00000001,0x806bb903)

He has Windows XP Home edition, I'm sure. See, he never paid for any virus blocks on his pc, but he downloaded some that he'd been using for over a year and seemed to be working fine. The only new thing that he downloaded was a Logon Loader, but I downloaded the same one, the same day and both my computers are still fine. I don't know why it would just do this so suddenly when it had been perfectly fine for about a week or so. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated because I tried contacting one of those geek squad chat things and I'm sure that the person there wasn't even a real person.... So yea, I'm trying to help and came here hoping to find some :thumbsup: Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:13 PM

You said after it cools down it's fine, have you opened up the case and blown out any dust with those canned air things? If he's over heating that could be part of it. Also check to see if all the fans are working, PSU, cpu, video card if there is one. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 J_C

J_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

Well, he just cleaned out his fans and everything the other day. I mean, it wasn't even getting hot last time I talked to him. He's not great with computers and I don't live near him, so I'm not sure how to help from here except to tell him what to do. His stupid phone isn't even working now, which doesn't help much either.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:32 AM

Link to the error: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0xd1

The most common reason for this is a corrupt hardware driver (although heat is a factor here) - to check this, try booting to Safe Mode and see if that helps. If it does, then the driver is one that's not loaded in Safe Mode.

Another common issue for this error message is faulty RAM - try downloading this free memory test and follow the directions exactly to test the memory: http://www.memtest86.com/

Next in line is a faulty pagefile - here's a how-to on how to rebuild it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic71367.html#

Because it works better when it's cool, I'd suspect a hardware issue - and RAM is the most common reason for this error that is hardware. BUT, that doesn't mean that it's the solution - it could be other things that are causing this. Let us know if this stuff helps and if not, then we'll move on to other troubleshooting.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 J_C

J_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

Thank you very much for those things, I'll give them for him to try next time he gets back on in ....an hour probably lol, gosh its just so frustrating you know. Anyway thank you and I'll give those a try.

EDIT: He tried safe mode and it froze up. Not sure if that means anything...

Edited by J_C, 02 July 2007 - 10:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users