Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall The Gimp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tizzanne

Tizzanne

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

Hi,

I had the Gimp installed on my laptop a while ago when I first got Open Office and some other freeware programs. As I do not use the Gimp, I decided to uninstall it. I tried to uninstall it by clicking on the uninstall button that came with the Gimp. It removed it from the start menu, but did not take it from the Add/Remove programs list. When I tried to uninstall or remove it from that list, it gives me the following message -

File "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\unins 000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall.

How do I remove the Gimp from my computer fully? When I tried to re-install it from the recycling bin in the hopes of being able to remove it from Add/Remove programs, it placed it back in the Start menu but is unable to be used because it supposedly does not exist. This is driving me nuts. Can someone please help me get rid of this pest.

Regards

Tizzanne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:43 PM

When you say you "tried to re-install it from the recycling bin", did you uninstall Gimp, or did you just delete it?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

Well, the name is there but the program isn't. You'll just have to tolerate an icon, it's kind of like a book with no pages but just the binding with the title.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:19 PM

Not necessarily so, Ryan 3000. :thumbsup:
How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add/Remove Programs List
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Tizzanne

Tizzanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

Not necessarily so, Ryan 3000. :flowers:

Hello Ryan,

the link is fabulous, I followed the easy to understand directions and it cleared everything up beautifully. I have never had the nerve to even look at the registry files before, too many disaster stories floating around, but the instructions made it straight forward enough that even a complete techno-dummy like me can cope with it. If only everything else was so easy I'd be in heaven.

Thanks a bunch

Tizzanne :thumbsup:

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

That wasn't me, tq1911 made that post.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#7 Tizzanne

Tizzanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

Not necessarily so, Ryan 3000. :thumbsup:

Sorry TG, I meant to thankyou for the link. I have a question though. The 'uninstall programs' file that I put on the desktop, what do I do with it if I am finished and don't need to reinstall? Do I just delete it? Probably a silly question, but I would not want to stuff things up by assuming.

Regards

Tizzanne

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

You're quite welcome, Tizzanne.

If you are referring to the exported registry key, I would keep it for a couple of weeks, just in case a problem pops up.
Better to have it, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it. :thumbsup:

If everything is still running good, in a couple of weeks, it should be safe to delete it.

#9 Tizzanne

Tizzanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

Thank TG, much appreiated

Tizzanne :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic