Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking The Infamous Celeron 300a....but I Need To Find A Bios Updgrade...help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

Hey...thanks in advance for help if any is recieved =) ....I have an old Win98 Gateway PC...256MB Ram...Small HD..Hitachi CD/DVD Rom drive with a Celeron 300A....i just recently found out that they are notorious for overclocking ...but my bios is the original that came with the computer back in 1998 and i have no idea where i could get a bios that would enable me to speed up the cpu...any ideas??? ...thx again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

What is the make/model of the motherboard? Also the BIOS string if you have it. I assume it's not the one in your sig.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

Hey...thanks in advance for help if any is recieved =) ....I have an old Win98 Gateway PC...256MB Ram...Small HD..Hitachi CD/DVD Rom drive with a Celeron 300A....i just recently found out that they are notorious for overclocking ...but my bios is the original that came with the computer back in 1998 and i have no idea where i could get a bios that would enable me to speed up the cpu...any ideas??? ...thx again

I don't have any advice....but...are you still using the original computer from 1998? If you are, and have not replaced many parts...thats very impressive!

#4 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

What is the make/model of the motherboard? Also the BIOS string if you have it. I assume it's not the one in your sig.
Mark

It's a Gateway PC but the MOBO is an INTEL OC44LX with a i440LX Chipset...the BIOS Version String in the BIOS Menu says: 4O(as in O thats in the alpha. because its a zero with a dot in the middle)4CL0(as in zero)X0(again, a zero).15A.000(Zeros)8.P0(zero)4 so the name with me not explaining every darn letter :thumbsup: is this: 4O4CL0X0.15A.0008.P04 and it is the original bios that came with it in 98....also i found out that it is not a 300a its a 333...with a 66mhz bus...i couldn't tell at first with the sticker worn off but a really great program call cpu-z showed me all the specs i just gave you it was great! ..so it is a Celeron 333 (333mhz as respectively), with 66mhz bus speed and and 128 kb cache (btw its a mendocino core)...other than that stuff i dont think i have much more info...i was just wondering if anyone had a link or new how to update old bios like that to get me one with new options....thanks a ton...

#5 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

I don't have any advice....but...are you still using the original computer from 1998? If you are, and have not replaced many parts...thats very impressive!

ha ha its not my main computer (my main is in my signiture) but im a total computer geek and i just really wanted to speed it up a bit...theres totally nothing wrong with it and the only thing that has been modified is that i added a stick of 128mb pc-100 ram back in like 2000 because it was a bit sluggish...other than that i have done nothing but take out the modem card because i have dsl and its not compatible so i just use a usb linksys router for internet....plus this will be my first overclock and i figured id do it on something that didnt cost a fortune and is worth like nothing....ha i saw the 333 processor for two dollars the other....shows how out dated it is!!!

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:45 AM

Tell me how it goes! I have an old computer here (from 1998 I believe), and I would like to overclock it too. It has an amd k6-2 333mhz processor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:50 AM

ha ha its not my main computer (my main is in my signiture) but im a total computer geek and i just really wanted to speed it up a bit...theres totally nothing wrong with it and the only thing that has been modified is that i added a stick of 128mb pc-100 ram back in like 2000 because it was a bit sluggish...other than that i have done nothing but take out the modem card because i have dsl and its not compatible so i just use a usb linksys router for internet....plus this will be my first overclock and i figured id do it on something that didnt cost a fortune and is worth like nothing....ha i saw the 333 processor for two dollars the other....shows how out dated it is!!!

You've inspired me to dig out my old system and tinker with it. Sounds like you've treated it well.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

If your BIOS chip is removable, this is the easiest way. I've used them a few times
biosman.com
Another good resource is wimsbios.com
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 03 July 2007 - 04:08 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:03 AM

You've inspired me to dig out my old system and tinker with it. Sounds like you've treated it well.

Ha ha yes i know i feel like im totally breaking the "if it aint broke then dont fix it" rule but i like to have fun once and a while...computers just happen to tickle my fancy!

Edited by PC GEEK, 05 July 2007 - 01:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users