Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mdbryant27

Mdbryant27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

Installing vista has been a dreadful dreadful nightmare. i am unable to install new drivers for my printer, the windows media player no longer has audio or video codecs and the ones ive tried to install do not work. Countless programs are incompatible.

Short of throwing my computer out the window, I dont know what to do and feel stuck and desperate.

I was going from XP MCE to Vista Enterprise so I had to do a clean install. It preserved all of my old documents, program files, and windows files in a windows.old directory. Is there any way to get back to my old XP version.

My HP has an HP_RECOVERY disk partition. I dont know if I can somehow use that and still preserve my old programs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Giedrius M

Giedrius M

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

I have heard that Vista-formated partitions are incompatible with XP. But not 100% sure about it. So you might need to backup again, and format your primary partition + do clean install.
Personally, I have managed to get all the codecs/software I need even for Vista 64bit, which is harder. You could also try to get VLC video player, which is free and and has codecs compiled in. I use it to view movies that media player has problems with. Also, installing codecs is quite good way to get PC infected with some crap.

Edited by Giedrius M, 04 July 2007 - 10:33 AM.

My blog majauskas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users