Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prob With Vista Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 formula1

formula1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

i just upgraded my pc from xp to vista... the pc is connected to the internet by a wireless router...problem is that when it was running xp,it was running with no problems...
now with the upgrade, i can,t access the internet...it is connected to the wireless router,,and i can access the routers homepage to check settings...
but it won,t allow me to access the internet...tried the ip renew and all the diagnose and repair fixes in vista ,,,but no luck !@!!

any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:37 AM

What does the error message say?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:17 AM

Does your ISP have any specific recommendations concerning Vista? I ask because there's a lot of places out there that haven't upgraded/enabled the features that Vista needs to communicate (the 2 primary areas that I've seen are IPv6 and the DHCP Broadcast Flag).

You can disable IPv6 (the only thing that requires it is Meeting Space - it's optional for everything else) in the Network connection's Properties. You can disable the DHCP Broadcast flag using these directions: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 formula1

formula1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

there is no error message other than there is a problem with the connection,,,
and as for my isp,,they just tried the usual re-boot the modem,,,
i disable the firewall,,anti-virus,windows defender and it still won,t connect..

i,ll look into those other suggestions and reply back....
thanks

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:44 AM

Also, does it change if you connect with a wire to the router? (could be a problem with the wireless portion of the router).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 formula1

formula1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

ok,,got it fixed........my wireless card (desktop),,was supposed to be vista ready,,according to it,s specs...
i called the manufacturer to see if there were any fixes or help..
they told me that even that it said it was vista ready,,,they weren,t sure if it was compatible or not...
went out and got another card (netgear,vista-ready)..installed it and problem solved!!!!
i guess manufacturers need time to get correct drivers made for vista...keepin xp on my main computer for a while yet......maybe a LONG while!!!
thanks for the tips though!!!

#7 smb12321

smb12321

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:07 PM

Formula1 -
I had the same problem and was stunned at the various "problems" I was offered - from defective CD to disk error. My son said, "Dad, just install the drivers." It worked & should have been the first thing all the "experts" asked.

Glad you got it going

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:56 AM

What make of wireless card was it that wasn't able to handle Vista?

#9 formula1

formula1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

it was a dynex card that was advertised as vista-compatible...got it at best buy...(got it free when the router was purchased at the same time)..
router was netgear ..

you,d think dynex would know if their products were compatible or not ??????

#10 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

could it have just needed a new driver? or a vista compatiable driver?

#11 formula1

formula1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

i checked their website for that and called their tech support..
they didn,t know if it worked or not ....they told me to check with the store i bought it from if there was any update for vista...

now why would best-buy know if the manufacturer didn,t know itself????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users