Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virusprotectpro..the Latest In A Long Line Of Scamware.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

The latest in a long series of scamware releases is VirusProtectPro. VirusProtectPro is a new rogue anti-spyware program released by the same makers of SpyLocked, SpyCrush, SpywareQuake, etc.
As the previous programs in this family, VirusProtectPro is installed by Zlob Trojans that are said to be audio or video codecs, but are in reality Trojans. Once you run the setup program for these so-called "codecs", the program will launch a DLL that downloads and installs VirusProtectPro and then issues fake security alerts on your taskbar.

It is advised that if you are infected with this software, you do not purchase it by any means. A free removal guide for this infection can be found below.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:28 PM

Yikes!

Another "helpful" program designed to prey on the uninformed.

"And it looks so genuine, too."

Thanks for the warning, Grinler.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

You would think the time a few hackers spent on making this software, they could have spent that same time making a spyware remover and probably made more money.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

More money in this method apparently.

#5 nocturnicole

nocturnicole

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

THANK YOU! I'm so computer illiterate and was infected with the VirusProtectPro and somehow found you all. It's fixed now thanks to you all! I'm registered and will visit often. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
nocturnicole

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

Great news nocturnicole, Welcome to Bleeping Computer
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 WolfRaven

WolfRaven

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:57 PM

Help! S.O.S. - I've read, printed the removal instructions, downloaded the SmitFraudFix and then stopped in my tracks. As was explained in the instructions I should have had an icon on my desktop that pertained to the SFF that would be used later on as I removed the Virusprotect Pro from my computer. I am wondering...has anybody who has been effected (infected) by this crap using Microsoft ME? If so, how did you get it to work? Our computer is an HP Pavilion XL753 and has been working just great. There are at least twelve (12) security programs on our computer running with no conflicts and this is the first one that has gotten through. I can find the downloaded SFF in my Windows folder but when I click on it - it does nothing. The icon that I should have had on my desktop after downloading is not there. I tried reinstalling per instructions and the same thing happened. I did go into Control Panel and use the Add/Remove to uninstall this unwanted program VPP and it did...I think...anyway, I could find nothing on my system after doing so except this little flashing shield icon in my taskbar. It flashes red with a white x and blue with a ? - If I right-click it it takes me to their site, of course, left clicking does the same thing. This is the first time in seven years that something like this has happened, or at least since we've had this system (from new) and I am usually the one to help other people get rid of this crap. Okay, I'm kinda stuck. Where do I go from here or what else can I do? -WolfRaven
Life is a Journey not a Destination...Enjoy the Adventure.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

Unfortunately SmitFraudFix does not work with ME. I suggest you post a HijackThis log in our HijackThis forum. You can then get manual removal help for this infection.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#9 samjh33

samjh33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:50 AM

Thank you so much!! I have had this "thing" on my computer for days. I tried everything eventully found you guys and hey presto its gone!!!!!

I'm not very good with computers but this way was really easy and idiot proof thanks so much I really thought i'd had it.

Will pop in for a visit now that i've discovered you

:thumbsup:

#10 moxxykate

moxxykate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:39 AM

I'm infected... ugh. What an evil, annoying and nefarious situation. Wish I could box the ears of the knuckleheads who created this spyware.

Here's my problem: when I tried the auto-fix, and re-started in Safe Mode, I wasn't able to see the SmitFraud Fix icon on my desktop or find the program which I had downloaded, so I got stuck. I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Kate

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

When you reboot into safe mode, make sure you log in to the same account you use normally.

#12 moxxykate

moxxykate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

When you reboot into safe mode, make sure you log in to the same account you use normally.

Oh, right. Didn't think of that because normally my log in is automatic. But anyway, I searched for SmitFraudFix in Windows Explorer and was able to activate it that way; as others have said, it seems to have worked just swell. Whew.

Kudos to you for your altruistic help. Thanks ever so much.

Kate

p.s. Curses to the virus makers. May their evil little programming fingers swell like fat greasy sausages covered with toady warts. So there.

#13 Alain Geraud

Alain Geraud

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:38 AM

Thank you ! thank you ! thank you !!!!
I was infected with that "thing" for 3 days, and it took me 5 minutes to get rid of it.
I'm new here, i will come back often now i'm registred.
thank you very much for your help.
Merci et au revoir !!!
Alain

#14 tiki13

tiki13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

OK gang, I'm baffled. I ran SmitFraudFix and got rid of everything as far as I can see, but I keep getting new IE windows popping up with a variety of ad pages. Publishers Clearing House, Black Singles, eBay Search, Marketing this and Cams that and it's driving me crazy. I've run AdAware, Super Anti-Spy, SpywareBlaster, Norton and several others, but all they find are tracking cookies.

I'm running XP, if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts before I throw this thing out the bloody window?

Seriously, any help will be greatly appreciated. Shall I post a HiJackThis log?

Cheers!

Scott

#15 ststephen

ststephen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:07 PM

:thumbsup: Thank you for your support. My computer is now free from virusprotectpro... using the automated option. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users