Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse And Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hello guys. My grandmother has this old pc with XP home installed into it (don't know the specs, but it must be a p3, with no more than 256 ram and around 20 gb HD).
She has this old keyboard and mouse, so she decided to change her old mouse for a noew optic mouse. The problem is that, when she plugged the new mouse, the keyboard got "disconected". I mean, the comp. didn't recognize it and didnīt boot (of course). I, then, unplugged the mouse, plugged only the keyboard and booted XP, then plugged the mouse and let XP recognize the "plug n play".
After that, i rebooted, everything was fine, until i tried to type anything. voilá, the keyboard was conected, but didnt work. The bios detected the keyboard, for windows was running. But windows itself did not detect the keyboard (my guess). I checked the keyboard icon in control panel, but it didn't give any useful info (no properties, no problem solving provided either).

I'm lost in what to do now. I plugged the old mouse back, but then the comp. didn't recognize the keyboard again. Can it be an incompatibility problem between mouse and keyboard? Can it be that the drivers of the keyboard just got deleted?

Anything will be useful, as for i don't know what else to do, and don't know very well the origin of the problem itself.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

Is the new mouse USB or PS/2? Is the keyboard PS/2 or USB?

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 petocities

petocities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

oh yeah, sorry.
The keyoard is PS/2, the mouse is USB, but also has the PS/2 adapter. I just plugged it with the USB.
Posted Image

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

Try the mouse with the PS/2 adapter. see if that works
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer