Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Dvd Not Working Or Not Registering

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

This is a strange story.
My games weren't working right on Vista, so installed my XP x64 Pro OS again, hopefully to have both systems on there, so if I wanted to play my games I'd just boot up into my old XP x64. Soo I found my CD, installed x64, and then when I boot up.. it wont let me pick between Vista and my XP. When I go to the OS selection thing when my computer is starting up, my only option is "Windows XP Professional 64bit version" or something.
So next I go to My computer>C drive and check out what files I've lost. None. I haven't lost any files, and all my Vista files are still there. (if anyone knows another potential way to boot up into my old vista, that would be awesome too)

When I put my Vista CD/DVD/whatever it is, into my drive, nothing registers. I put in a music CD, and it recognizes it, and I put in a data CD, and it recognizes it. Soo then I checked the wires in my drive and mobo, they're all good, and I checked the disk by putting my Vista into an old computer. It shows up and gives me the option to install. I have an LG GCC-4522B CD/DVD combo drive (not a DVD burner). If anyone has any ideas Please PLEASE let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

I have this same issue dual booting Vista and XP.

Heres a plethora of information on Dual booting XP and Vista:
More

A good one

Regards,
TheYoda

Edited by TheYoda, 01 July 2007 - 01:09 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

Thank for the tutorials, but it's my drive that seems to be the problem. in those tutorials it tells me to put my DVD in, but when I do, nothing comes up. I tried booting from the CD and whatnot, but nothing seems to work. I think I may have messed up when I made the partitions. Hope I don't have to start all over again.

Any alternative ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

Try putting the DVD in another computer to see if the DVD works or not.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#5 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, I already did that, and it worked on the other computer.
I tried booting from disk but nothing seems to be working on the one I need to install it on

Edited by shiftplusone, 01 July 2007 - 10:12 PM.

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:09 PM

This may seem like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure, is the drive your putting it in a DVD drive?

#7 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, it's a DVD drive.
I've already installed Vista before, but I did a clean install, so I didn't have xp anymore, but then I wanted to install it. I didn't think it would be THIS difficult and annoying.

I basically just need a way for my computer to recognize the vista DVD.

#8 fatmat8

fatmat8

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

had a similar problem with new computer i.e. when i checked on device manager my drivers for dvd/cdrom were disabled

Edited by fatmat8, 02 July 2007 - 10:52 AM.

peace and happy thoughts

#9 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:58 AM

Yeah I checked for that, but it wouldn't be the problem anyway because it can read CDs.

#10 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

If you have a spare DVD drive, i'd say try it cause you got me stumpted at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users