Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Superantispyware Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:44 AM

I've had just enough problems with SpySweeper to consider... CONSIDER... letting my subscription expire.

Is anyone using the pro (paid) version of SUPERAntiSpyware, and if so, how are you liking it?

Of course, I would take full advantage of the 15-day trial, but it's always nice to hear other opinions.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:11 AM

Nobody uses it? I wonder if I should take that to mean that I should probably stay away from it, or that "no news is good news".

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:21 AM

Gets the :thumbsup: from me. Does a great job in the background, and the repair tools seem to work very well. Have never regretted forking out good money for it.

Each programme is a matter of personal choice, but I like it.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

I already have two antispyware programs running real time protection: AVG (paid subscription) and Windows Defender. This particular combination seems to work very well with no conflicts, so I have no reason to change, and to add yet another real-time protection would be foolish.

However, I regard the free Superantispyware scanner as an indispensible part of my armoury. And if I didn't already have the full AVG security suite installed, I would buy a subscription to the Pro version of Superantispyware without hesitation. I was very impressed on one occasion when Superantispyware picked up (on someone else's computer) a file (which turned out to be real malware, not a false positive) that every other scanner missed, including the Virustotal online scanner.

Edited by Alan D, 04 July 2007 - 07:25 AM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

Ah, thank you for the replies, guys. I kind of figured that my original post just got "passed over" the first time around. It happens sometimes. I'm quite interested in SUPERAntiSpyware, so I think that I will uninstall my SpySweeper (I can always reinstall it), and take SAS for the 15-day test drive. I, too, have been using the free version for on demand use for quite some time myself. The free version is what prompted me to consider SAS as a first choice.

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:08 AM

If you plan to uninstall SpySweeper, you should also use their removal tool.

1) Shutdown the shield in the system tray (lower right) by right-clicking and choosing "Shut Down".
2) Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall SpySweeper. Reboot if asked.

Get the removal tool by following these instructions:

1) Go to this page: http://support.webroot.com/ics/support/def...amp;folderID=53

2) On the left side of the page click the topic: "Spysweeper 5.5 with Antivirus (Vista, XP, 2000). Even if you don't have the antivirus component, click here anyway.

3) You will see a list of questions under KNOWLEDGE BASE. Go to page 3 and click on question #25.

4) Read carefully and you will find a link to the removal tool. Save file to your desktop and run the file. Follow on-screen instructions. When completed, the file will remove itself.

5) OPTIONAL - Reboot your computer. Use a registry editor to remove all traces of Spy Sweeper but searching for the string "Webroot" (without the quotes). Only perform this step if you feel comfortable using the registry.

All remanents of Spy Sweeper should now be off of your computer.

Now go ahead and install SUPERAntispyware.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

#7 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for a great tip, IaC. I never heard that SS could be "Norton-y" when it comes to uninstalling. I went ahead and saved the tool for later use, if needed. Unless I have problems, I doubt that I'll put too much effort into making sure SS is entirely off of my PC until I have completed my trial, and am satisfied, with SAS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users