Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 merthyrblue

merthyrblue

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:20 AM

Have just started running Mandriva Spring and think it's great! But could anyone tell me if there are any security issues i should be aware of that i might have missed after installation. Thanks all MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

Since there are so many distros with so many different packages, the best thing for you to do is use your favorite search engine to search for any exploits or bugs related to your package and version. :thumbsup:

#3 rever

rever

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

The biggest security for all OS is what gets attached the the Keyboard, meaning the user. OK now for really answering your question. As the poster above said it really depends on what software you have installed and what patchset your Distro applies. Best thing to do is run updates with your package manager (not sure what Mandriva uses). This is how the developers of your Distro push out Security patches. If your question is about security in viruses and such. With linux you really do not need to worry about those as much. Most viruses are programed for Windows and windows apps. However if running AV makes you feel better ClamAV and AVG are available in linux ports.

#4 Dennis1

Dennis1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

If you look here http://ubuntuforums.org/ you'll find that security has been discussed many times,the majority of experienced users assure us that getting a virus on Linux is nigh impossible, mostly because it's all open source I think.but if you do a search you'll find heaps of advice on any subject you want.
I've found them to be of great help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users