Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Compatability

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

Hi Guys

I have just refomatted after a virus and spyware attack that I couldnot fully eradicate even with excellent support from this forum.

I now have Windows Vista Home premium loaded with Bullguard anti virus suite togethor with Windows Defender.

I would like to build in extra protection on the spyware side, can anyone suggest suitable compatible programs.

I am considering Javacool's Spywareblaster.

regards as always

Cluless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

Personally, I'd be content with what you have. I myself have an anti-virus installed. Beyond that I rely on Vistas built-in tools. Much of the malware out there isn't (yet) compatible with Vista. I'd wait to add to the protection until we can tell what the malware landscape on Vista will be like, and then add what is needed to deal with it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi

Sounds like good advice

Much obliged

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

Javacool's Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard are both excellent, free antispyware programs to have. I have both of them on Vista.
I got rid of Windows Defender, because I didn't feel it was working the way I wanted it to.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

If you're going ahead with SpywareBlaster, it does not work well with the DEP feature of Windows Vista (at least, not on our Vista computer). They are planning to fix this in an upcoming version, but until then, you'll need to turn it off for SpywareBlaster.
Go to Control Panel and work your way to System. On the left pane select Advanced System Settings, and select the Settings button in the Performance section of the window. Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab, change the setting to the lower radio button, and hit Add... Find SpywareBlaster and hit OK.

#6 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:57 AM

Thanks Fellas

As always good advice

regards

Cluless