Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Msconfig Startup Entry.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 VirusHunter

VirusHunter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

I recently purchased a new hard drive for my system. I installed Windows XP and SP2. After installing some apps I burned to a CDRW (ATI drivers, antivirus and spyware apps before I connect to the Internet), I decided to check out the MSCONFIG startup section.

What I seen was the usual list of entries until I stumbled upon an empty startup entry. I went to the HKLM/......./Run section and the only "blank" entry is something called "Default" and it's entry is "Value not set".

I did a search and 95% of what I've found said that it's either an uninstalled program that didn't complete properly or a virus/trojan/malware. Both don't apply to me since I only installed my ATI drivers, antivirus and spyware apps off the CDRW and I created checksums right after I downloaded each file and they check out perfectly so I know it's not a bugged program. And this is a fresh, brand spanking new installiation of Windows XP so I can't imagine it being a virus.

Still I'm freaking out for some reason because the consensus seems to be that it's not suppose to be in MSCONFIG.

Does anyone have any other information about this sitaution besides it being caused by a virus/trojan/malware or an uncompleted installation?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users