Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silence once again.....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:41 PM

Okay. So I formatted my hard drive tonight, because I was having performance issues. Great. Got through it without a hitch, re-installed everything back onto the computer with success ----

---with one notable exception.

I have no sound whatsoever.

Ugh. This has happened before, but the thing is, I can never remember how to fix it.

I don't have the original CD with the motherboard drivers on it, but I had a copy that I had downloaded from the net and burned onto a CD. It doesn't seem to be working this time, though. I don't know if I'm making the right changes to the BIOS settings, or what.

I'm hoping someone here can help me! For some reason the idea of a silent computer seems so eerie to me.

Here's some of the info you might need in order to help me --- I'm not sure if you'll need it or not, but -- eh. Here it is anyway:

Motherboard: AOpen AK73 Pro
Sound Card: SoundBlaster Live!
The name of the audio driver that worked for me the last time is the VIA 4-in-1 Driver. And right now I don't have any sort of onboard sound disabled in my BIOS settings.

Please help if you can! :thumbsup:

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:37 AM

You don't say what your Operating System is.

Take a look in Device Manager for any yellow (!). This will no doubt be your sound card unless you are having other problems. Highlight this item, click properties and under the driver tab click update driver. As you go through this wizard you will be asked to let windows look for the driver or select from a location. Select from a location and browse to the CD with the motherboard drivers.

The Via 4 in 1 drivers are for your chipset and not the actual sound card.

Get your soundcard driver here. Select a product, then select a model then look for Audio driver on page 2.

Edited by Leurgy, 24 January 2005 - 08:49 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:10 AM

Sorry, I didn't mention that I'm running Windows XP.

I downloaded the drivers for SoundBlaster Live! and for my motherboard and installed them. When I reboot, the status bar at the bottom shows a new icon and a message balloon pops up ("New Hardware Found -- VIA Bus Master") --- or something along those lines.

But then it asks me to update the driver for that particular piece of hardware, and then I'm lost. Because as I said, I don't have any of the CDs.

So this morning I went into the Device Manager to see if there were any conflicts, and saw a yellow exclamation mark next to : VIA Bus Master IDE Driver.

Yeaaaah. Well, I don't know what the hell that means, or what to do about it. And I still don't know if I've got my BIOS settings done properly.

Heeeeeeellllllp.

(Oh. And I followed the link you provided in your reply --- thanks for that, by the way --- but unfortunately the model number of my motherboard does not appear on the page). So there's nothing there to help me.

Edited by computergeek522, 24 January 2005 - 09:15 AM.

Dell 15R
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:23 AM

Get your soundcard driver here. Select a product, then select a model then look for Audio driver on page 2

Did you do that? At the top.

I don't have any of the CDs.

I don't have the original CD with the motherboard drivers on it, but I had a copy that I had downloaded from the net and burned onto a CD.

???????

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall your via drivers and then reinstall from the CD you burned or the link I gave you.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:02 AM

Problem fixed. I uninstalled the sound card driver, went into BIOS and enabled onboard audio, and then re-installed the sound card driver.

Thanks for the help.

Dell 15R
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:05 AM

And right now I don't have any sort of onboard sound disabled in my BIOS settings.

Its really hard to help somebody when you don't have good information.

Maybe try a new screen name.

#7 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:33 PM

Excuse me. But it's also difficult to provide "good information" when the person making the complaint does not specify exactly what sort of information they require in order to assist you with your problem.

I have found this forum to be helpful in the past, which is why I posted my question here in the first place. If you were not able to help me --- or if there was additional, specific information I failed to provide --- I would have appreciated it if you had actually *asked* me for said information, instead of making snide remarks.

I certainly hope that you are not this condescending to other people who turn to ths forum for help.

Dell 15R
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:43 PM

I'm not being condescending to you and I'm never condescending to anyone else. I'm pointing out the fact that you originally said one thing and then later said something else. See my quotes.

You also didn't follow the advice offered. If you come here for advice its helpful to take it. I stand by my last post.

#9 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:57 PM

Actually, if you read my posts, you would see that I did follow your advice, in that I went to the site you recommended --- however, I did not find any drivers that were useful for my particular sound card or motherboard.

I do appreciate your advice --- however, I followed it and it did not work. I then proceeded to try and find the solution on my own.

Once again, thank you for the advice you did provide. Even if it did not pan out for me, I'm sure that your knowledge would be useful to someone who would be willing to go on a wild goose chase in order to end up exactly where they were in the beginning.

Dell 15R
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:02 PM

I'm not going to belabor this. Believe what you want, but you still don't get it.

#11 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:16 PM

No, I suppose you're right. I don't *get* it --- whatever it is that I'm supposed to get.

Bottom line: You provided advice (thank you for that), but it did not WORK in my case. Instead of accepting/acknowledging that, you seemingly ignored it and chose instead to belittle my intelligence.

And maybe you'd deny that's what you did, but I feel as though that's *exactly* what you did. "Try a new screenname"? Please. I never claimed to be a computer expert --- I wouldn't have come here in the first place if I was --- and as a matter of fact, I admit that I don't know a whole lot about the ins and outs of computers. Which is why I came here in the first place.

Do *you* get it?

Dell 15R
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:31 PM

Your first post said:

[QUOTE]And right now I don't have any sort of onboard sound disabled in my BIOS settings. [/QUOTE]

Your third post said:

[QUOTE]I uninstalled the sound card driver, went into BIOS and enabled onboard audio[/QUOTE]

In your second post you said:

[QUOTE]Oh. And I followed the link you provided in your reply --- thanks for that, by the way --- but unfortunately the model number of my motherboard does not appear on the page). So there's nothing there to help me.

I said:

[QUOTE]Get your soundcard driver here. Select a product, then select a model then look for Audio driver on page 2[/QUOTE]

If you follow my link, Select a product (motherboards), select a model (AK73 Pro), then look for Audio driver on page 2 you will find it is there.

Audio Driver R3.20b 2/26/2003
6984 KB
Support chipset 686B/8231/8233/8235.
Audio Driver for Win95/98/98SE/ME/NT4.0/2000/XP

OS Support:Linux, Win2000, Win95, Win98, Win98SE, WinME, WinNT, WinXP

So, first you say nothing is disabled in the bios and suddenly you enable it and it works. You obviously wouldn't or couldn't find the Audio driver by following instructions posted twice

Do you get it now? When you come here looking for advice it helps to give valid information and follow instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users