Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast Cable - Modem Troubles W/tv Tuner ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BRS33

BRS33

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:25 PM

i recently decided to get comcast high speed internet . i have had trouble with my modem losing signal and going offline. i can reboot and get back online but you never know when you will lose signal . 2 service techs were at my house to check into the problem - they did some things to increase speed but soon after they left i was offline again. after thinking about the problem i decided to disconnect my cable to my tv-tuner - and connect directly into the modem . for most times i keep a signal now and things are working well for me now . however - i don't have access to watch tv on my computer . this might sound petty to some but i paid for mediacenter and i should have the ability to use it .
does anyone have any ideas or history with comcast cable and using a tv-tuner together ?
i have windows xp ver 2 .
i guess i could be off base and my modem could be the problem ?? or - could it be in my computer ??
resetting the modem doesn't work . it's a d-link model dcm-202
do these have a good history ??

any help appreciated - thanks
brs33

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:02 AM

I had a similar problem a while back and it turned out to be the tech did not ground the coax properly. On the out side of you residence look to see if they grounded you to the same ground rod at your home's electrical service. i had to ground my service separately to fix my problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

Also check that there isnt a Short in the Coax heading to the TV

Posted Image

#4 brewzer400

brewzer400

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

When you said you disconnected it from the TV tuner and plugged it directly into the modem, do you mean you only had one Coax cable between the two of them? or is the cable coming off a splitter? If you have a splitter hooked up to the line that could be part of it, either that the signal is to weak to be split and still be functional, or the splitter is actually going bad. If you only have a single line then i'd suspect something with the modem to be honest. If you call in to comcast you should be able to get an HSI rep to look at your "SVP" and brink up your modem and check out the signal level to the modem and have them look up the "history plotlines" and they can check and see if the modem itself is indeed resetting or if it's a lack of signal that when it drops off causes you to lose connection.

if the person you talk to doesnt know what these things are, hangup and call back, you got someone who doesn't know how to do their job on the line and you don't want to waste your time as they stumble through what to do. :thumbsup:
One By one the penguins steal my sanity...

#5 BRS33

BRS33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

thanks for all the suggestions !!

#6 salvatore

salvatore

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

Regarding the Comcast Cable Modem Problem. I had a very similar problem and I have Comcast. The Motorola SB5101 Modem I owned would inexplicably drop off-line. At first it dropped once a week and then it progressed to several times a day. This happened over a 3 month period May-July 07. Since I installed everything myself, I tried to research and solve it myself.
Finding this WEB site I had read about a "possible bad ground". INDEED that was it ! I went outside and cleaned all of the 20 year old COMCAST incoming connections on the side of my house (including the corroded grounds !). Everything came back up and my Cable picture quality visibly improved. I had some snow (Noise) on the TV but everything looks clean now. I'm glad I didn't go out and randomly start buying new Modems, Routers, etc......Hope this helps others....Start with good and clean cable connections and grounds.....

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

Excellent. Nice to hear it was a simple fix.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users