Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are The Risks Of Opening Up My Case?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

My parents seem to be a little shy when it comes to modding the computer, for good reason. My mother runs her terminal server on it and needs it to work. I want to add stuff to if. There's a conflict, and the main argument is, "you'll mess something up and we won't be able to fix it." I already understand this as much as I need, but from someone else's opinion, what are the risks of opening it up?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

If someone doesn't know what they are doing,

they could open a computer case and

mess something up and not be able to fix it.

Most people should be able to change out a video card, however.

You say you want to "add stuff to it".

What stuff?

Since this system is used for work, the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" may be the best advice anyone could give.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

Their computer is truly a masterpiece compared to my Dimension 3000. It has a PCI x16 slot. I want to add: RAM, a video card, possibly some heatsinks, possibly some fans, probably a new PSU.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

It's their computer. So my question is Do they want the stuff added?

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

I would invest in upgrading your own computer instead of someone else's. If it's good for what they need it for, than leave it be. Like JohnWho said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Even better, I would save up and get a "masterpeice" all your own and you won't have to worry about anyone else. That's what I did and I haven't had an arguement since.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

Their computer is truly a masterpiece compared to my Dimension 3000. It has a PCI x16 slot. I want to add: RAM, a video card, possibly some heatsinks, possibly some fans, probably a new PSU.

Some further, free advice -

I would not do all of those things at once, even if the PC was yours and didn't have anything critical - it could become a troubleshooting nightmare trying to determine what is causing a problem.

Phyically working on the systemboard - adding a heatsink or fan - could cause irrepairable damage to the board if not done correctly and carefully. Maybe I'm being overly cautious on this, but I'd leave those things to experienced folks.

A case fan, or a fan on a card is another matter, and shouldn't cause any difficulty.

In theory, changing a video card should be a reasonable thing to do. However, just look through the various threads on BC and other tech boards and you'll see that very often it causes problems that require some effort to correct.

With RAM - if you have the correct RAM for that board, and you use the proper proceedures, it should go well, but the techs on this board all probably have stories of "something happening" when they did a simply RAM upgrade.

Somewhat the same with the power supply. It should be a simple "swap out", and assuming nothing is wrong with the new PS, it usually is. But the "something happened" phrase may be heard here, as well.

In any event, just "poking around" inside a PC could loosen a connection, change the seating of a chip or board, or even short something out if one isn't familiar with the inner workings of a PC. (Even experienced Techs have to be very carefull, too.) That's why I wouldn't recommend doing anything unnecessary to a currently operational system in a working environment.

I usually don't make predictions, but as TheYoda suggests - I see a new PC in your future.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

I second what JohnWho is saying. I myself am an experienced tech and I know even I make mistakes sometimes. We're all human and you could be the person who designed the board and still make a mistake. A simple knock is all it takes to mess up the world...or at least the inside of that computer. I hate to burst your bubble cause I think you probably made this topic hoping someone would back you up, but I'm afraid we'd rather be safe than sorry. Save your money, in the long run, you'll be so much happier.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

I'm all for rooting around inside the case and fixing stuff - but as the others have said, can you risk this with a work PC? What will happen if you mess it up?

That being said, maybe you can make it a family project, with you doing the research to convince your parents that you're able to do this (or, you could also have it done by a pro). Your parents could follow the steps of your research and decide if it's prudent to let you inside (thereby accepting the risk).

FINALLY, don't forget to backup everything prior to trying this. A good disk image will save you much heartache if the system gets hosed. You can buy a new system, but can't buy your data back once it's gone.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

OK since the majority here recommend a good new system, I've constantly been hung up on one question that nobody has answered to my satisfaction: I want a good gaming CPU, but at the same time I've beeng gaming on a Pentium 4 and I could never have been happier. What should I get for the money? A Pentium D or step up to C2D?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

the P4 and later the Pent D were intel's big mistake after hitting a brick wall with the P3

they sucked

amd with the xp64 and x2 forced them to build a better cpu from scratch

they did and now the worst buy is a Pentium D
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

If you want gaming, AMD is the way to go. Someone who's in the business (*cough* me *cough*) could get you an estimate for what you want and what you'll need and estimates and such on a more personal level (ie, through PMs or E-mail). Using the monitor and keyboard, etc that you already have you save yourself a bunch. So if you want a new system, talk to me and we'll see what can be done.

Regards,
TheYoda

#12 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:13 AM

I just built my own system (check my signiture to see my specs) for under 900 dollars with shipping included from newegg....i also got 70 dollars in rebates which wll bring me to about an even 800 with shipping....it keeps getting cheaper..i saw my ram on sale today for 30 dollars cheaper than what i paid...and my case on sale for 10 bucks less...and thats a drop in less than 2 weeks.....i suggest you do your OWN digging to find whats right for you...some people that are in the business..and im honestly not pointing fingers or being rude...like to give you higher quotes...because honestly they have to make a prophit.....the verdit...save some money....do your research (it took me about 6 months to find the perfect stuff) and then build it yourself......building is easy...its pretty much just plug the red into the red and green into the green....but troubleshooting problems is the hardpart and believe me ...you will be on BC ALOT!!!! nothing goes perfect....NOTHING...so be prepared...but in the end it was worth it for me...i save about 1000 dollars by building it myself...thats a lot of money left in my pocket!!!

#13 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

I'm not gunna turn this into a big arguement, but i just want to say, the quotes I do aren't high priced because I, too, get my stuff from newegg. But yes you are right, I do have to make a living, but what's wrong with that? I'm earning the extra money because I'm building and troubleshooting the computer myself.

Enough of that though. The choice is totally up to you, Ryan3000. You could go for an adventure and get some experience and do it yourself and as a person, i, and many other people, would be more than happy to help you look for the parts and check compatibility, quality, etc, but have it enivitably be your choice and you building it. If your up to it, go for it! It's really a great experience, I think, especially for someone who's never done it before. It gives you bragging rights amongst your friends, too :thumbsup:. Of course, if your not up to it or you don't have the time, or whatever it might be, there's plenty of people in the business for this sort of thing. Be warned though, not all of them are honest. (I don't wanna brag, not in the thread at least, but privatley, i'll tell you how i roll, lol).

Regards,
TheYoda

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

Yoda,
I have been in the trade for quite a while and have ~2000 posts in public forums, in accordance to the rules I don't advertise for business, and as a matter of fact have turned down a few unsolicited offers, since I consider it a "conflict of interest"
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

...sorry, nevermind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users