Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'potty Mouths' - Wow!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

Okay, I admit - if I slam my fingers in the car door I'm quite capable of yelping and letting a highly unladylike word or two pop out of my mouth.

But what's with all the 'potty mouths'?

I used to think that most people who used swear words constantly, often twice in one sentence, simply lacked the ability to comprehend sufficient words within the English language to allow them to express themselves otherwise. But apparently I was wrong.

While it could just be me, it's almost as if swearing is becoming so common that many people don't seem to pay any attention.

I'm seriously curious ... any idea why it's so common now?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

Damn if I know!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

Children are no longer trained to be human? In other words when I was younger, if I used any "potty mouth" words, the nearest adult, normally my mother would immediately punish me for the rules infraction, public place or not.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

Simple mind over matter.
It don't matter now, so few mind such outbursts.

/Koan slaps some straight out. I elder and can get away with such still. Try me?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

Think about the effect pop culture has had on us. Remember that famous Line from Gone with the Wind, "Frankly, Scarlet, I dont give a damn." and how much heat they movies promoters took over that one word. Now you've got Samuel L. Jackson screaming about "Bleep'ing Snakes on a Bleep'ed Bleep'ng Plane!!!". This however cannot excuse my lack of eloquence or tact when speaking, no I am just too lazy to try to think of a more appropriate word (unless I'm around my Parents or Grandparents then I'm a good boy :thumbsup: )

Posted Image

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

Well, it used to be that people used it in extreme emotional situations when everyone had something more important to worry about. Now, I think kids are just lowering the bar on 'extreme emotional situations'. Also, nobody stops them, nobody seems to care, and their parents do it.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#7 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

its very true, I have customers who come into my workplace all the time, saying cuss words, and stuff.

Heck, my employees cuss all the time.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

I dont cuss....
Cussing is stupid when there are other words that describe what is going on rather than just saying "Man this is just a load of F@@@"

Pathetic....

Lack of parenting just like everything else. You need to have the kids raised right.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

For a lot of people, they say those words so much it seems that whenever they open their mouths, it's almost automatic. When I've asked them why they use them so much, most tell me they aren't aware of saying them.

#10 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:29 PM

Out of curiousity, if some people use those words so often they aren't even aware of it - and if some even do it in the work place - and even parents do it in front of their kids (wow!) - does this mean that the words themselves have less 'shock value' - and if so, why bother, I wonder. Hmmm.

Glad to hear you're a "good boy" about what you say or don't say in front of your parents and grandparents, BlackSpyder - never too old to have your mouth washed out with soap :thumbsup:
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:51 PM

Does anyone here remembered Redd Foxx, anyone ever hear one of his records? Redd Foxx wouldn't piece two words together without adding an explicative that definitely was off color, but unlike people today he very purposefully used those words for effect. The quote from GWW was used for the same effect, saying Damn in a movie at that time got your attention and underscored his emotions. There was a time that people who used swear words liberally were expected to be from the lower class of society. Having been brought up in a household where I can only remember hearing my father swear twice in my life I had a rude awakening when I went to work as an electrician's apprentice. Cussing has gone from being associated with the common people to being common, and yes I do believe it indicates a slip in our social mores.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:46 AM

I think it has a lot to do with what happens to be the norm in the particular environment you are in at the time. I remember many years ago when I started working at a meat freezing works, I found my language had deteriorated badly and carried over to the home environment and I had to consciously 'take a grip'. At work you never noticed it.

In this respect I think social norms have lowered, and IMO, not for the better.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#13 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:51 AM

Curse words can be very useful when your angry (makes you feel better). They can also be quite funny! South Park is the funniest show ever.

The reason why curse words are so promonent though, is because parents curse, and their kids pick up. Nowadays due to a few generations worth and the media, almost everyone curses. If you ask people, it's actually a habit that is almost impossible to stop once you develop it.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

Curse words can be very useful when your angry (makes you feel better).

Bahh so not true no better than any regular word.

South Park is the funniest show ever.

Dirtiest filthy crap I have ever seen. Not worth watching...

If you ask people, it's actually a habit that is almost impossible to stop once you develop it.

It takes 18 days some people say to break a habit.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 01 July 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

At some point in time it became fashionable among Those That Count, then the Lowest Common Denominator took control over language and culture, and now it is so commonplace that it fails to shock. I suppose we will have to invent new words to replace the use the old "four-letter words" once had.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users