Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

May My Doggie Vote Too, Please ...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

Woman who registered her dog to vote pleads not guilty to false statement
In Seattle, Washingto a lady, Jane Balogh felt that her State voter-registration law made it too easy for non-citizens to vote.

So put her phone bill in the Australian shepherd-terrier mix's full name - Duncan MacDonald - then used it as identification to register him as a voter.

She submitted ballots in the dog's name, using a paw print to mark the ballots on Duncan’s behalf and by writing “VOID’ on each ballot (and didn’t cast any votes) - not just in one election but in the September and November 2006 and May 2007 elections, to prove her point.

Yup, finally caught and all that stuff but I’m smiling at the entire story because apparently the lady is still miffed because “Duncan is still on the voting rolls” and that “someone is still not getting the message”.

Source: http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en...ticleID=2713951

Bet this same woe exists in darn near every country - I gotta admire the lady's courage!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

We have Donkey Voting here,but never heard of Doggie Voting before. :flowers:
Thanks for the Story 'MaraM', Most entertaining. :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_voting

Edited by DSTM, 30 June 2007 - 05:50 PM.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

Woman who registered her dog to vote pleads not guilty to false statement
In Seattle, Washingto a lady, Jane Balogh felt that her State voter-registration law made it too easy for non-citizens to vote.

You think?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

lol ! what a simple, yet clever tactic to make a point. Kudos to that woman, and you MaraM for bringing the story to our attention:)
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:53 PM

The irony of it all, to me at least, is rather than admitting there are vast 'gaps' within the system and simply allowing she proved her point and warning her off trying it again, nope, gotta 'make her pay'. Geesh.

Donkey vote?! So off I went to read the info at link site and learned not just about the 'donkey vote' but read, " voting is compulsory in Australia".

I may have missed it, but what's the penalty for not voting, I wonder?

Here in Canada we can vote or not vote - but within our own friends and relatives we have a quick question when one starts to groan about our system ... "Did you vote? And if not, no complaining allowed!" :thumbsup:

- - -
Should have mentioned I read the word 'fine' as a penalty ... but is it a big one or a little tiny one?

Edited by MaraM, 30 June 2007 - 05:55 PM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

The irony of it all, to me at least, is rather than admitting there are vast 'gaps' within the system and simply allowing she proved her point and warning her off trying it again, nope, gotta 'make her pay'. Geesh.

Donkey vote?! So off I went to read the info at link site and learned not just about the 'donkey vote' but read, " voting is compulsory in Australia".

I may have missed it, but what's the penalty for not voting, I wonder?

Here in Canada we can vote or not vote - but within our own friends and relatives we have a quick question when one starts to groan about our system ... "Did you vote? And if not, no complaining allowed!" :thumbsup:

- - -
Should have mentioned I read the word 'fine' as a penalty ... but is it a big one or a little tiny one?

I am not sure what the fine is,but belive it's around 100 Dollars.We have Voting Too often for my liking.We have to Vote in State Elections as well as National Elections.Plus we have Commonwealth Census which is a complete Pain in the Butt.IMO. The Census is an invasion of Privacy,and it's compulsory to answer all Questions,most of which are private,and absolutely no business of anybodies.The last one was about 12 x A4 size, and took forever to complete.
I am against compulsory Voting when I detest all the Parties.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

I dare say the dog would be aa intelligent a voter as many humans.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

The dog would probably understand the two parties better than some people, "oh this candidate smells good, I'll vote for him." I bet people have voted for worse reasons than that.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:48 PM

Pets like cats and dogs both seem to have an innate ability to determine the character of people and will respond to them in kind. I suspect that if this dog had been introduced to the politician/s it might have been just as qualified to vote as anyone else. Then again, there are those who make their decision based how they feel about the candidate which would make the dogs choice more credible.

I have a pair of cats that will be eighteen next year, I wonder if I should register them to vote. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

Suspect many of us feel similar when it comes to realizing our voting systems are fallible and many of use vote for certain candidates for the 'oddest' reasons' - huge smile! And since the lady didn't actually vote - simply used the paw prints and the word 'Void' to prove a point, hope they let her off completely.

Thanks to all of you who reponded to this thread!

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

Woof! Woof!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users