Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect With Second Browser Window After Removing Spylock

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoolzRoolz

JoolzRoolz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:37 PM

Hi,

My daughter's computer was hit with spy bleeping locked and thankfully we found this wonderful website to help us out :thumbsup: Smitfraudfix (downloaded from the instructions page in the spyware/malware reading room) cleaned it up beautifully - her home page was no longer hijacked, the annoying recurring error message went away, the "toolbar" went away - everything. One problem has cropped up, though: she can connect to the internet via IE7 just fine after rebooting. However, if she closes the browser window and opens another, IE7 cannot connect to the internet. She tries disconnecting (wireless) and reconnecting and it does no good. If she reboots, she can connect again with the first browser window and surf away. However, if she opens a second browser window (while keeping the first open), that one can't connect. I'm sure some setting needs to be tweaked but I'll be darned if I know what.

Browser: IE7
ISP connection: wireless

Thanks!

JoolzRoolz

Edited by JoolzRoolz, 30 June 2007 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

Depending on how many days it has been since GETTING the Smitfraud infection, a system restore might work.
If you haven't installed or uninstalled any programs since the day you got the infection a system restore should go well. Be sure to restore to a date BEFORE getting the infection.
Info on how to perform the restore is in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

If you decide it has been too long or whatever, and not do the restore, you should post the problem in the Windows XP forum on this site ---assuming that is your OS.

Edited by buddy215, 30 June 2007 - 06:23 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 JoolzRoolz

JoolzRoolz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

Depending on how many days it has been since GETTING the Smitfraud infection, a system restore might work.
If you haven't installed or uninstalled any programs since the day you got the infection a system restore should go well. Be sure to restore to a date BEFORE getting the infection.
Info on how to perform the restore is in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

If you decide it has been too long or whatever, and not do the restore, you should post the problem in the Windows XP forum on this site ---assuming that is your OS.

Thanks buddy. I'll see what we can do with system restore, though we turned it off before doing the full scan (which didn't do anything to resolve the problem of course) before doing the Smitfraudfix. We kept it off for the Smitfraudfix and she's turned it back on since. Hopefully turning it off didn't erase the previous restore points. We haven't installed anything after she was hit except for Smitfraudfix. Anyway, I'll take a look when she's back with her laptop (she's with her dad tonight) and, if we can't resolve it, will take your advice and check with the Windows XP forum.

BTW, this site is awesome. If anything good were to come of the spy bleeping lock trojan, it would be finding you guys :thumbsup: .

Joolz

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

Sorry, but turning off system restore removes ALL restore points. Best to post in the XP Forum.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users