Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Signal To Monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 torr

torr

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:24 PM

Hello all, hopefully Im in right room. I have problem with my computer ( 4 years old using by my mother for net surfing) and really no idea what more to try. Issue is:

I turn on computer, I not hear no beep ( do not know whether I should hear some, but I think there shall be 1 beep on startup)

system seems to be starting OK, but I can not see no graphic signal to be coming into monitor, monitor is blank, nothing is on it, even no message no signal ( monitor is plugged in to power and turn on )

What I tried to do:

- try monitor with the same cable on laptop -> running OK,no problem found
-test graphic card on another system -> graphic card run OK
-try to reseat RAM to another slot -> no help, same issue

- I posted my problem on PC Forum in my country, somebody adviced to fan RAM slots with dry air. I did this, and it helps. I turn on computer for three times, everything run OK, but at 4th time same problem,no signal to monitor

-reset cmos -> no help, same issue (hopefully i did this right i followed instruction in manual)

-did fan slots with dry air again but no help

Please somebody help me with this, Im out of ideas, I think something is wrong with motherboard which is old (MSI KT3 ULTRA2 )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Beremat

Beremat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

Asking some random questions here, aas i'm not that advanced, but when you turn on your computer this time, open it before you turn it in.

Is there maybe any buzzing?
Does the motherboard look OK (No busted capacitors, etc. A picture of what a busted capacitor looks like is here: http://www.boinc-sg.de/images/thing2.jpg)
Are the fans spinning on the Graphics card, if there are? I'm thinking it's something either with the motherboard or the power supply.

Also, try disconnecting EVERYTHING from the computer, then first connecting the USB devices, then the power, then any other devices you may have and last, the monitor.

Edited by Beremat, 30 June 2007 - 03:29 PM.

#3 torr

torr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hi Beremat, thank you for reply,

do you mean to disconnect someoutput device from usb?, currently nothing is connected to PC

I have opened the cover of PC and I can see stuff inside, everything seems to be ok. There is no buzzing sound coming out of PC, graphic card has no fan.

Edited by torr, 30 June 2007 - 03:36 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

Another possibility. One that I've experienced a few times over the past few months.
Have you checked the connections to the hard drive? Open the case, make sure the cables are firmly plugged into the drive and on the motherboard.
Earlier this week, my computer kept freezing up and when I would physically hold the white 4 pin connector in place on the hard drive, everything worked. When I let go of it, bam-computer froze and the cycle started all over again. I would have to push the reset button, and when the computer would come back on all I got was a blank screen-unless I held the connector to the drive.
In my case, it turned out to be one of the wires of the connector, which was easily resolved. There were 2 extra unused connectors coming from the power supply. My computer tech simply took out the ones connected to both my drives and connected them to the unused ones. Problem solved within 30 seconds of opening the case.
Just wanted to throw out another possible solution.

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:30 PM

If you added anything to the computer after you bought it like a graphics card, extra hard drives, things that need power, you may be short on power with your power supply. I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to this problem, but just wanted to see if I can help. If you did add any of this, take it out and try to run the computer as you bought it.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#6 torr

torr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:20 AM

Hello all,

I switched cable witch led to hard drive with cable led to Cd-rom, which was working ok. This did not help.

I did not upgrade PC since I bought it.

Do you think it would help if I try some other graphic card on my PC?

#7 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

If you have on, you could test it out, but don't go out and buy one because you dont know if it will work.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

To see if there is a problem with the motherboard or graphics card unplug all the drives and extra cards from the computer leave only the graphics card, memory, CPU, and case connections connected to the Motherboard. If the board is ok it should POST. Start there and please post what kind of computer it is be specific with the make/model number of the motherboard and the graphics card. If its a manufactured computer like HP,Compaq,dell, e-machine etc.. post the make and model number.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users