Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Small Questions....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beremat

Beremat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

I'm looking for answers to two questions.

1) I'm looking to upgrade my Graphics Card. My power supply is only a 250W, but I'm looking to place in a 7600GS. I've heard that if I don't have tons of crap around, my 250W might be enough. The only things I have are a single core AMD 3800+, 2 sticks of DDR2 RAM, 512MB each, 1 250GB SATA Hard Drive, one LightScribe DVD drive, and then that video card on top. Will my power supply hold up? The max wattage for the 7600GS at full lad under 3D is 28 Watts.

2) My hard drive is running hotter than usual recently. Normally, it would run at about 38 idle, 43 load. Right now, it's running at 45 idle, 49 load. Should I be concerned?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:14 PM

1) I wouldn't count on it. The recommended use for a card like that while playing a game or someting would be at LEAST 350W. You say under load, it'll only use 28W, but chances are when the video card is under load your playing a game and your harddrive, memory, CPU and probably your CD drive will be underload as well. It would probably work with your system, but it'll probably shutdown when under load because there just won't be enough power.

2) I wouldn't be too concerned, but I would suggest getting a can of air and dusting off your harddrive and all your fans and things to let air flow more freely and it'll probably drop the temperture a little.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:23 PM

Oh yeah, and as I was defragging this morning, the hard drive temp shot up to 56 celsius by the end of the 16-hour session. Where can I get a can of compressed air? Best buy? I'm in NYC by the way, if it helps.

Edited by Beremat, 30 June 2007 - 03:23 PM.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, extensive work will raise the temp a bit. Don't worry though, you still have got a long way to go before the temp gets out of operating range (usually around 80 or 90C, depending on the drive).

I'm in NYC, too. Staples would have it, probably cheaper than best buy would. If you get it at staples, it'll probably be by all the computer stuff but not really with it. More towards the desks, etc. Also using a dry rag, just wipe the dust off the drive and it should help too.

Regards,
TheYoda

EDIT: Also, your in new york, so take into account the really hot weather we've been having. I mean it's not hot today, but its cool enough to have the window open, but warm enough that you need the fan on and it'll affect the drive and your whole system, too. I don't see it as too much of a concern.

Edited by TheYoda, 30 June 2007 - 04:05 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#5 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

Well, yeah, i've been leaving my AC off lately cause of huge power bills.
It got pretty hot in here. However, the hard drive temp was affected the most.
Yesterday I wiped all the dust off my case, everything off of the inside, and used some dry air to clean most of the components.
The CPU was full of dust. It didn't make any temperature difference, though.
The hard drive was just about as dusty as the CPU, and the temperature went down about 3 degrees. Also, the hard drive is a little bit quieter when seeking files.

Thanks for the help!

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

No problem :thumbsup:. Glad I could help.

Regards,
TheYoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users