Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow When Switching Between Screens

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CommMajor101

CommMajor101

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm not 100% sure this is the right section to post this question in, but here goes. My computer is slow when switching between screens for example switching between viewing the internet then viewing a document. Also, it's slow even when I receive IMs. The IM box shows up, 30 secs later I hear the noise, then 30 secs after that is when I can see the actual message. I've followed the slow computer directions posted somewhere else on this site, but nothing has worked with this particular issue. My computer at work is faster! lol Any ideas, suggestions, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks in advance for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

If your case, I would like you to post your PC spec's down so that I can further diagnose whether it have to do with your hardware.

I would also suggest you to do a online scan.

Please go HERE to run Panda's ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
  • When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location. Post the contents of the ActiveScan report

#3 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

What are my PC spec's?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:22 AM

What are my PC spec's?

Things like:

Processor type
Amount of RAM
Video card type
Size of hard drive
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:05 AM

Hi CommMajor101

If you don't already have them, a program like EVEREST or SIW will tell you loads about your particular machine.

You will find them here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

My PC's specs: Dell Dimention DIM 3000, Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz, 2.7 GHz, 256 MB of RAM. Is that what you needed?

Here's the result of the Panda scan (I took out my last name, I hope that's ok):
Incident Status Location

Potentially unwanted tool:application/funweb Not disinfected HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB}
Spyware:Cookie/2o7 Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@2o7[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Adrevolver Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@adrevolver[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/AdDynamix Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@ads.addynamix[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/PointRoll Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@ads.pointroll[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Advertising Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@advertising[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Atlas DMT Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@atdmt[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Atwola Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@atwola[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Azjmp Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@azjmp[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@belnk[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Bluestreak Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@bluestreak[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Serving-sys Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@bs.serving-sys[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/BurstNet Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@burstnet[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Casalemedia Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@casalemedia[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Bridgetrack Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@citi.bridgetrack[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Belnk Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@dist.belnk[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Doubleclick Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@doubleclick[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/FastClick Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@fastclick[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Go Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@go[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Servlet Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@livehelper[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Adrevolver Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@media.adrevolver[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Mediaplex Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@mediaplex[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/QuestionMarket Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@questionmarket[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/RealMedia Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@realmedia[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Serving-sys Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@serving-sys[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Statcounter Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@statcounter[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/WebtrendsLive Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@statse.webtrendslive[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Target Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@target[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Toplist Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@toplist[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Traffic Marketplace Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@trafficmp[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Tribalfusion Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@tribalfusion[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/BurstBeacon Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@www.burstbeacon[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/myaffiliateprogram Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@www.myaffiliateprogram[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Searchit Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@www.searchit[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Cgi-bin Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@www3.addfreestats[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Xiti Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@xiti[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Zedo Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (last name)\Cookies\diana_(lastname)@zedo[2].txt
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/ViewPoint Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Diana (lastname)\Local Settings\Temp\0\Private\Vendor\ProgFiles\ViewBarBHO.dll

#7 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:17 PM

Hi CommMajor101,

I'm sorry that I missed your post. Been rather busy lately. So I see that you have posted your information as well as the online scan report.

Doesn't seem to having any malware at the moment, at least from the scan result.

However, you do have funweb installed which is a unwanted tool to have. So I suggest you to uninstall it from your PC.

Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. Look for:

1) FunWeb and/or FunWebProducts
2) MyWebSearch

If found, please uninstall them.

As for your hardware, it should not cause you any much problem except for your RAM which might cause some lag when you are opening multiple application. As Window XP itself recommends 128 MB of RAM to run, you are left with little RAM for other application. However, as you mention, 30sec seem to be quite some time. So I would also like to know how many processes are you running.

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del at the same time to bring up Task Manager and Click on Processes tab and you will be able to see how many processes are you running currently at the bottom of the Task Manager Window.

Edited by Nikas, 03 July 2007 - 11:20 PM.

#8 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:00 PM

With AIM and the Internet going I have 36 processes running. Thanks for checking out the scan results! I appreciate your time! I couldn't find either FunWeb and/or FunWebProducts or MyWebSearch, but I do have a "My Way Search Assistant" is that the same thing?

Edited by CommMajor101, 04 July 2007 - 07:02 PM.

#9 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

you can remove those cookies
download superantispyware
download the free edition
after its downloaded update it
then run the program........

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

#10 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

but I do have a "My Way Search Assistant" is that the same thing?

Yes, it is the same thing. Please uninstall that.

36 processes seem to be pretty little and shouldn't cost you that lag problem. Let see how it goes.

You can consider mme suggestion and come back with the result.

#11 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:34 AM

I can't remove the My Way Search Assistant via Add/Remove Programs. Any suggestions as to how to remove it some other way? Also, I already have Norton Anti Virus and Ad-Ware SE Personal, do I really need to download superantispyware?

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

Yes this program is free. It will find and remove the <MY WAY SEARCH ASSISTANT>

I normally recommend an active antimalware application, an active antivirus, and some of the free applications,

Superantispyware Spybot Search & Destroy
there are many other great free programs, just ask.

256 mb of ram is not near enough for windows xp w/sp2 i would recommend a minimum of 512mb

Edited by oldf@rt, 08 July 2007 - 10:13 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#13 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

Why is that my computer came with 256 mb of ram and Windows XP then? That's really odd, don't you think?

Also, the SuperAntiSpyware program didn't remove the My Way Search Assistant. Any other suggestions, please?

Ok, I found a way to remove My Way Search Assistant! Yeah! Go to: Start
Click on: Run
Copy and Paste: msiexec.exe /x{78d944d7-a97b-4004-ab0a-b5ad06839940}

It worked!

Now, the ultimate question, why is my PC still taking forever to switch between screens? lol

Edited by CommMajor101, 08 July 2007 - 01:57 PM.

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

You don't have enough ram.

Why is that my computer came with 256 mb of ram and Windows XP then? That's really odd, don't you think?

No. Computer manufacturers are cheap. They normally put as little as possible in the machine to cut costs, and try to under price the competition.

Also Dell has their own version of MWSA, SAS does not target this version.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

Since I don't have enough ram, what version of windows should I be using? Or is there something else I should do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users