Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scheduled Tasks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

I was told to contact Microsoft about this, but they're not going to help me; the OS came with the computer. (XP Home SP2.)

I cannot get any scheduled tasks to wake the computer out of standby to run, even though I have unchecked the "Run only if logged on", and checked the "Wake the computer to run this task" in the Task Scheduler properties.

My problem is actually with Webroot SpySweeper: it wakes the computer on schedule, but the scan doesn't run. I decided to try a "trick", and set up another program to wake the computer one minute before the SS scan is to run, to see if that might work. However, it does not. I set up a scheduled task for calculator, to see if I could bring it up for the sole purpose of waking the computer out of standby, but the scheduled time comes and goes, and the computer stays in standby. One minute later, SS does in fact wake the computer, but the scan doesn't run.

I have found the SS will wake the computer and run the scan as it is supposed to if I uncheck the "Run only if logged on" selection. However, after it runs once, the selection becomes re-checked. This leaves me to go back into scheduled tasks every week, and uncheck the option, so that the task will run again the following week.

I hope that this post is not confusing; I am only trying to post relevant information. My question is not really about SS (if it was, I would have posted in the appropriate section), but rather, why scheduled tasks will not wake the computer.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:13 PM

This article, "Problems with scheduled tasks", may help. It also describes a log file maintained by the Scheduler that includes information about why certain scheduled tasks were not run.

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=1177

You may also want to look at this article:

http://www.windowsxpmagazine.co.uk/page/xp...asy_maintenance

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

Thank you for the reply, M.... I'm afraid that I wasted your time. Please have a laugh on me, as I really pulled a good one: I had the scheduled task for calculator set for SUNDAY! Hello!?!? Today is SATURDAY! My little trick does in fact work; SS runs its scan, and there under the SS window is calculator, just sitting there on the desktop.

This, however, still does not explain my SS problem. SS still wakes the computer, but will not run its scan. That is not a question for here, though. That would be a question for the "AntiVirus, Firewall,..." forum. It's a question that I'm not going to ask, though, as even SS support does not have an answer. They claim that it is a problem with XP, and that I need to contact Microsoft. (Hence the first sentence of my opening post.) Thank you again.

By the way; the answer to the Q & A at the bottom of the second link that you provided me is inaccurate. I happen to know that a scheduled task will not wake a PC out of hibernate mode; only standby.

Edited by rlprlp, 30 June 2007 - 02:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users