Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

like browser hijack, but isn't

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pox

pox

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:46 PM

Hello, and for my first post, I have a puzzler and I think it is a very good one!

I'm running Windows ME and using dialup - Wait! Before you tell me to upgade or just KILL myself - READ ON!

Here's the symptoms, you be the doctor:

When I log on to the internet and fire up my web browser, I have eight minutes to take care of business. That's because in eight minutes, I can click on a link, or choose something anything from my bookmarks or type in a url and nothing is going to happen. I can see that my modem is sending the instruction, but nothing is coming back.
Without logging off, I can open my mail client and read, send and recieve email all day long. I can open my newsreader and it works fine. I could download 100 meg of mp3s if I wanted to. But the web browser is not going to load any more pages.
If I open a different browser, still nothing happens. The request goes out but nothing comes back.

I use three different browsers: Netscape, Explorer, and Firefox, and the same thing happens with any three.

It doesn't do any good to log off the internet and then log back on. I have to at least reboot. And I have noticed no difference between rebooting and doing a complete shutdown.

I have run a couple of different spyware / adware (Spy Sweeper and Ad-Aware) utilities and managed to clean a lot of stuff out. While that makes me happy, it did not fix the problem.
And I was using Zone Alarm, before the problem. Not using it now, I had disabled it because I suspected that it might actually be the culprit.

Okay! Do you have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meeeeeee

meeeeeee

just meeeeeee

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:54 PM

Read this tutorial and do as it says. Then we can look for malware with you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-post-a-hijackthis-log/

:thumbsup:
Knowledge is the most powerful weapon.

http://pcbizowner.com

If I have helped you please pass along the good deed to someone else. If you would like to donate then I thank you also.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:12 PM

Hello pox and welcome to BC. We love puzzlers so we'll give you one. :thumbsup: How to uninstall ZoneAlarm.

Its likely ZoneAlarm. If you disable it and sometimes even if you uninstall it, it will lock out your browsers from the internet.

Look here and also here for instructions on how to uninstall it.

My attachment contains information for uninstalling that is no longer available from ZA but still applies. It is the most complete one.

Attached Files

Edited by Leurgy, 24 January 2005 - 09:13 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:47 PM

Found more instructions to uninstall ZoneAlarm in its incarnation as EZTrust Firewall. See attachment.

If you are reading this and have any type of ZoneAlarm product I strongly suggest you save these uninstall instructions and go to the two links provided previously and do a File>Save As on them also as a corrupted or poorly uninstalled or even disabled ZoneAlarm will lock your browsers out from internet access. If that happens you won't be able to find any uninstall info.

Attached Files

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:41 PM

Leurgy: I have ZoneAlarm. I printed out the attachment and will save it for an emergency. Are you suggesting that perhaps ZoneAlarm is especially hazardous, or is this a risk with all firewalls? If problem peculiar to ZoneAlarm, what alternative would you suggest? Thanks in advance.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:47 PM

I've only seen that problem with ZoneAlarm.

Kerio or Sygate are good ones too. Get them from ZDnet, Download.com or Tucows. You can also get them from their websites. Those would be the most up to date.

#7 pox

pox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the leads!

I will post with results.

#8 pox

pox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:34 PM

OK! You guys are like freakin' genius' or something, problem is solved! I owe you a big debt of gratitude, maybe I can help somebody here sometime and pay it back.

Jh! What worked!

I uninstalled Zone Alarm using the manual uninstall method as posted by Leurgy. I had already attempted uninstalling, so thought it best to use this method.

I hope you enjoyed my puzzler as much as I enjoy having this mess straightened out.

THANKS!

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

Thats great news pox. Thanks for posting back.

:thumbsup:

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:16 AM

pox sent me this pm and I thought I would reply here for the benefit of others.

In your opinion, is this a common problem with Zone Alarm or is it simply an instance of a file becoming corrupt? Should I steer clear of ZA?

I have found it to be a problem. What it is trying to do is to make sure that it hasn't been disabled by a virus. It also causes trouble when you restore your registry because all the information is in there and you have to clean it out again. Vsdata95.vxd is the file that locks you out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users