Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Editing With Ms Word

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chelu1971

Chelu1971

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:39 AM

I'm editing a friend's very long Word document (a novel). Instead of formating with double space, he hit the return/enter button at the end of every line twice, to create his double space. What is the easiest way to remove all the "return's?" Allowing me to then select all and click on the double space format. I tried writing a Macro, but without success. Thanks for any help you might offer. :thumbsup:

Edited by rigel, 30 June 2007 - 07:33 AM.
Moved to a more appropriate forum ~ rigel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:35 AM

Haven't used Word in a while, but have you tried a "Find and Replace" for the hard return character(s) and replace it with a blank space?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

Hi Chelu1971, welcome to BC!

In MS Word 2003, go to the Edit menu and click Replace.

In the Find What: box enter this: ^p^p

The ^p^p represents a double carriage return. If you put just one ^p in, it may turn the novel into one big paragraph.

In the Replace With: box, put one space (i.e. with the spacebar)

Click replace all.

This is what usasma suggested, he's a smart guy!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 30 June 2007 - 10:43 AM.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:41 AM

would you not want to replace it with ^p so that it did not replace both of the CR with a space. I am not sure as I have not tested but I would have thought you would want to replace 2 Enter presses with 1 enter press.
Posted Image

#5 Chelu1971

Chelu1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

Thank you for your help! I just now renewed my internet access, or I would have thanked you folks sooner.
Had tried the find and replace before, but had no idea that ^p^p meant double carriage return, and had tried finding the intext commands as I had been able to do years ago with Clarisworks. Thanks again :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users