Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-rw Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 business_jayhawk

business_jayhawk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hello all,

I have an e-machines desktop which I bought last year at Office Depot. The DVD-RW stopped working a few days ago. It swallows the disk and flashes the light for a few seconds, but then does nothing. The hardware profile shows the DVD as "working normally." Windows XP sees it. BIOS also sees the DVD. I checked all the cables - everything is OK. I tried uninstalling it in the device manager and installing it again - to no avail. But the DVD-RW does nothing. Any suggestions? And the warranty has already expired :thumbsup:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:27 AM

You've already tried the things I normally suggest, maybe the drive is gone bad. It happens, I had the same problem a few years ago and that was the problem. If you decide thats whats wrong you can get a new one fairly cheap and they install easily. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

Maybe your lens is scratched up? I have a DVD drive that whenever I put in a blank DVD it says incorrect function. Does that happen?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

Worst case scenario: the drive is shot.
Likley scenario: Worst case scenario.

If you can go to the store and they offer you a drive for more than $40, it's a rip off. If you go to newegg.com the DVD burners there are only about $35 and we could always run you through doing it yourself if you don't trust yourself to do it.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#5 business_jayhawk

business_jayhawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:53 PM

Maybe your lens is scratched up? I have a DVD drive that whenever I put in a blank DVD it says incorrect function. Does that happen?

No, when I put any disc in, the DVD drive swallows it, flashes the light 3 or 4 times, and then - nothing. When I click on the DVD icon, it shows no contents (regardless of type of disc and whether it's blank or not). If I insert a music CD and run Media player, it says "No disc in drive."

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

Possibly dust on the lens. You could try one of those lens cleaning CD disk. A few bucks, usually sold by music CD's in the store. That said, I agree with the others
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users