Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm Free

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

So I am trying to make the move from Norton to freeware. I downloaded Zone Alarm free but it blocks all internet access. I turned it off and I've got the internet again. I think it has something to do with the fact that it won't let me access via my wireless system. How could I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:58 PM

Norton can be a pain to remove properly. Did you use the Norton removal tool? When you're running AVG for the first few times it will prompt you when an action needs to be taken and asks you whether you want to allow it or not
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 29 June 2007 - 07:58 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

I've still got Norton active. Is having both ZA and NIS at the same time bad?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

Running two firewalls or antivirus products at the same time is NOT good. They can conflict with each other, use up resources, and slow your computer down. Uninstall Norton-use the removal tool mentioned above. After you reboot your computer, Zone Alarm may work properly. If your version of Norton includes antivirus, make sure you have another one ready to install.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 June 2007 - 09:18 PM.

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:37 PM

I'm using AVG antivirus and antispam. Is it worth it to ditch all of the above and use ZA's new internet suite?

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

Most security programs are so tied to the low-level operating system routines, that they're hard to remove, especially when not done properly, by using the vendor provided uninstallers. But even then, they leave so many things behind that installation of another product has to be done carefully.

For really first time installation - read this
FIRST TIME INSTALLATION ONLY
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=53620

Please read the instructions here if you already have ZA installed
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...;message.id=154

That said, may I suggest you install one of the previous versions, for instance 6.5 because v7 free is really trouble, and the non-free products, at this point, in my opinion, still have some difficulties.

You can read about versions and download here:
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...aseHistory.html

I use ZASS v6.1. I think a better thing is ZA Pro with the best antivirus you can find, such as NOD32 (paid) or free AntiVir or AVG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users