Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Can't Get Windows To Run At All

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vash7373

Vash7373

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

ok, so here's the story. my friend is not too swift at all with computers and asked me to help him with his computer because it has been running very slowly lately.
so (over the phone) i was helping him and through AIM i sent him a program called Startup Cop where you can see what programs run when you start your computer. so we took a few down that were unnecessary, and rebooted. we then were jsut checked through his processes and i came to one i didn't know and searched it on google. well it was for microsoft SP2. i came to a site where there was a ton of people who complained about SP2, saying how annoying it is and what not, and how bad it slowed their computers, and how it was totally not needed if you have virus protection, a firewall and windows update.

so i asked if he has those three things and he said he did so i figured what the heck, maybe SP2 isn't too great (i don't have it i don't believe, though windows said i do but i cant find it ANYWHERE on my computer). so i had him uninstall it (by going to control panel and add/remove programs) and it was taking awhile so he left his computer on and went to bed.

so this morning he gets up and boots up his computer, and it goes through normal bootup stuff, but then the login for windows xp dosen't even appear he says. he says it loads the screen that says windows xp, then that goes away and the computer restarts.

i figure his anti virus was pretty out of date, and that he had some kind of a worm for awhile and the only thing stopping it was microsoft's SP2. so i pretty much feel badly about it all and need to find a way to fix it. i was thinking about a few different options, either reinstalling windows xp (does that wipe out all the drive, like the C: drive and what not?), restoring his comp compltely, or using a flash drive and somehow either load SP2 back onto it or the fix from like Norton for whatever virus/worm (if it is one) and curing it that way.

now i know it was probably stupid of me to get rid of SP2 but i thought it would help according to that site i found, but i guess not lol

any help is greatly greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

i figure his anti virus was pretty out of date, and that he had some kind of a worm for awhile and the only thing stopping it was microsoft's SP2. so i pretty much feel badly about it all and need to find a way to fix it. i was thinking about a few different options, either reinstalling windows xp (does that wipe out all the drive, like the C: drive and what not?), restoring his comp compltely, or using a flash drive and somehow either load SP2 back onto it or the fix from like Norton for whatever virus/worm (if it is one) and curing it that way.

SP2 doesn't include an antivirus, only a firewall, so SP2 couldn't stop the worm.

Whether the drive is wiped out or not depends on what your friend wants to do.
A clean install will wipe out the drive and all its contents.
A repair will replace the OS files, and leave files and folders on the computer. With this option, he will have to reinstall Windows updates.
I suggest you read this for more info on a repair:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Another option is a reinstall of SP2. This might be the best option-he can confirm or rule out SP2 being the cause of the problem.
If he doesn't do a clean install of Windows, he really should consider the fact that he might have malware on his computer. Antivirus and spyware programs should be kept up to date to be effective.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 June 2007 - 05:45 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:19 AM

It's advisable to remove the virus infections before installing SP2. SP2 doesn't like viruses, and the installation may misbehave if you're trying to install it on an infected system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

Thank you for mentioning that usasma.
I'd forgotten about making sure there is no infection before the install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users