Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good News Guys: Upgrade!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:16 PM

Hey guys great news I just got a sweet Dimension 8400 from my parents who passed it down. I have three questions: what socket is the CPU on (assuming socket T), is this mobo a 168- or 240-pin RAM compatible, and what is the best PCI x16 out there for my money right now (I want future-resistant but under $200, preferably under $150).
THANKS IN ADVANCE
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

I always thought this was a good card for the money http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102034

I've never used it but it looks quite good.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:26 PM

Depends on the processor in the computer and it takes PC2-2400, PC2-5300, or PC2-6200 and its a 240-pin connector.

And as for a video card, I'd suggest anything in the Radeon X1k series. Radeon X1950PRO. It's $150, 512MB GDDR3 memory, it's got the fastest clock speeds for the price (600MHz core clock, 1,400MHz memory clock) and it's silent!

Regards,
TheYoda

EDIT: Or sterling's suggestion is good too...

Edited by TheYoda, 29 June 2007 - 04:27 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

I have a thing against ATI. I'm sure it's unfounded, but the cards I get from them are always insanely hot and I must cool them myself. I'm looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150229 , which looks spectacular. I am very sure it's Socket T, but since I'm not planning an upgrade (already P4 @ 3.2Ghz), I won't even bother. As for the RAM, I'm disappointed but happy at the same time. I had 512 DDR I was going to add, but I need DDR2. Any recommendation for budget RAM? I have four sockets for PC2.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

Pick away! All of those sticks are compatible with your computer.

And I'm just an ATI/AMD kinda guy, I despise Intel and Nvidia for my own personal reasons (not so much Intel, but more Nvidia). Whichever your preferance is, as long is it works for you, is good.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

there should be a Service Tag number on the back of your case. Insert the number in the textbox on Dell's hardware purchashing page and it sould be able to give you info on the motherboard socket type and RAM type

Posted Image

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:14 PM

Dell is terrible. Don't bother, I already tried. When I looked up the RAM upgrade for the 8400, it came up with "this is a 1GB stick for the Dimension 8400", and that is ALL they tell you. DDR, memory speed, RAMbus, CPU bus, mobo, case form factor, NO NONE OF IT. I could figure most of it out myself but they don't tell you because they want you to buy the upgrade from them end of story you know? That is why I don't like Dell. Anway thanks Yoda I'm looking at it as we speak.

OK I found the best-rated RAM on NewEgg for my system. It's 2G for $80 so it looks like a good deal. Apparently I will have to set my voltages for it to not crash my system. Will this be a problem with Dell BIOS?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 30 June 2007 - 08:21 PM.

#8 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

You'll probably have to flash the BIOS and/or upgrade it to a not-dell BIOS. Most computer now days have a VERY minimal BIOS where the only option is the boot order, system time, and MAYBE some tests. 99.9999% chance that there is no voltage option or any option of any sort in the Dell BIOS. You'll probably have to look into a different type of RAM or different speed (remember it support PC2-4200, PC2-5300, AND PC2-6400) that won't require you to change anything.

Regards,
TheYoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users