Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Installing Win2k And Formatting Sata Hdd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PFunk12

PFunk12

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

I've decided to format my Dell Dimension 8400 with a 160GB SATA HDD. I first tried to reinstall XP after changing the SATA Operation setting in the BIOS from RAID Autodetect / AHCI, the factory default setting, to RAID Autodetect / ATA like the Dell website said.

XP setup recognized my HDD and install ran fine until damage to my XP CD kept setup from finding a file.

I had win2k SP4 so I went with that instead. When setup tried to format my HDD I noticed it was only reading 130 of the 160GBs. This is after I removed all the partitions I'd had on there previously. Setup is running as I type this but where are the missing 30GBs?

Do I need to find the sata drivers and do the F6 trick before reinstalling? Would a MoBo and BIOS update help?

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong section but this seems like both a hardware and software problem but I'll leae that up to you guys and the moderators, lol.

Thanks for any help iin advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

This is an issue with large disks and older Operating Systems...

More on the issue....
48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000

FAQ on the issue...
Frequently Asked Questions about 48-bit LBA
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users