Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1024 Resolution Hurts My Eyes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

I've got a 17" monitor which isn't exactly small, but trying to play games in 1024 resolution just sends me cross-eyed because the fonts and graphics are too small and i'd much prefer 800.
Sadly, some games (eg Civilisation 4) can only be played in 1024 so i have to give them a miss.
Is there a way round the problem without having to go out and buy a 26" monitor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:36 PM

Your operating system may allow for you to increase the font size in DPI. If you're using Vista, this is the control panel under appearance>personalization. The option should be on the left-hand panel. This can help.

3939.png

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

If that is the minimum resolution of the game you wish to play, and the images on the screen are too small, then the only thing that will help would be a larger monitor running at 1024 x 768 (my assumption) since the graphics would then be somewhat larger.

Unless I'm not understanding your premise.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:19 PM

Civ 4 can only be run in one resolution? Are you sure you've looked through all the display options just incase?

This could help a little bit if you're eyes are really straining. What kind of monitor do you have LCD or CRT? If you have a CRT monitor, what is your refresh rate?

To check, right click anywhere on the desktop and select 'Properties' and this will bring up the 'Display Properties' window. Click on the 'Settings' tab (the farthest one on the right) which I'm assuming you've been doing so far to mess with your settings. Click on the advanced button and a new window will open up. Click on the 'Monitor' tab and there is where you can change the refresh rate, usually the higher the better for your eyes (again, CRT monitors only), but it could hurt your monitor if it is an older one.

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

My monitor refresh is 75 but I won't risk the next one up (85) if you say it might harm my monitor (its 6 years old).
Anyway the problem is not really flicker, it's simply the tiny size of the fonts and graphics, like looking down the wrong end of a telescope.
The pic fills the whole screen okay, but the fonts are only a few millimetres tall, much too tiny to read without getting to within a few inches of the screen and squinting, or using a magnifying glass..
Yet other people with the same size monitors as mine (17") say they can read theirs perfectly.
It's a mystery to me..

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:00 PM

You should be able to run programs other than that game at a resolution that gives you less screen "real estate", but makes the icons and text larger.

Did you try setting your system to 800 x 600?

As was mentiioned, many games can be set to various screen resolutions. Are you sure you can't change it in that game?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users