Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just A Dumb Question Not Too Sure About This

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

Hey i'm not new to computers, but im not very knowledgable with RAM and stuff.... just wondering if its normal that from the 3gb of RAM i have installed in my computer that, .50gb of it is taking away from the available physical memory, and where does the source of that come from, cuz i know that my running processes don't take up nearly that much... Is it from all the services and stuff active? Thx :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:48 PM

If you have windows vista (especially premium, business, or ultimate), it does use half a gig of ram just to operate. It's a memory hog. Now if you have an older version of windows, it shouldn't be that much.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

i got windows xp >.<... anyway to fix this? or suggestions on how to decrease this

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

Another question, do you have onboard video?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

Hit ctrl, alt, delete, click processes tab then click the little memory usage tab to see whats using the most.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

naww man i just spend 2000$ on my comp i got top end stuff.. so nope not on onboard video card... and not many high proceeses are running just my av and firewall, and lil things such as video drivers, mouse configurations etc

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

I'd suggest you download, run, and post a log from - S I W.

Maybe one of us will be able to figure it out.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:33 PM

Well someone tell me what they wanna see out of this system info program cause theres many choices, thx

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:26 PM

If you have 3 gigs 1/2 of one is nothing to worry about. 2.5 gigs is just about as good as 3, but 3 is nearing overkill.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#10 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

Is your computer infected with Malware? This could cause problems and hog RAM. Are there any pop-ups? Tray icons that your infamiliar with? Check all of this out as it may be a cause.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#11 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:19 AM

im pretty sure im not infected with any malware, i scan daily with spybot S&D aswell as a-squared free and not usually anything. And nothing seems out of the ordinary or different than it was before

Edited by Roadblock, 01 July 2007 - 12:19 AM.

#12 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:54 AM

And just now i calculated all the proccesses running and it comes to roughly 250k.. which means theres another 250k which i have no idea where its coming from.. so technically it should be at 2.75g available physical memory and not 2.5.... Any else have some suggestions? would be greatly appreciated.

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

I really wouldn't worry much about it. It really won't make a difference at all with your speed. For instance, I found one of my 512mb sticks of ram was bad, so I took it out and put a 256mb in. So I had 768mb of ram, and really could not tell much of a difference from a full 1gb. Especially when you already have 2.5gb's the extra 256mb won't make a noticeable difference in my opinion.

#14 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

I really wouldn't worry much about it. It really won't make a difference at all with your speed. For instance, I found one of my 512mb sticks of ram was bad, so I took it out and put a 256mb in. So I had 768mb of ram, and really could not tell much of a difference from a full 1gb. Especially when you already have 2.5gb's the extra 256mb won't make a noticeable difference in my opinion.

I second that.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

Where are you getting the numbers for the available physical memory? Have you checked the System applet, the Performance tab of Task Manager, or the dxdiag screen? Each may give a different number as Windows accounts differently for memory depending on how you're reading it (this issue is a bit more straightforward with the new WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model)).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users