Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got A Weird Problem!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:43 AM

Hey there i would need some assistance with this problem that has recently occured... I run on a wireless internet system which is connected to the computer downstairs... I use a D-Link wireless USB receiver... All was working fine a while ago, but most recently i get disconnected from the internet and it says unable to connect to wireless network, and i click to check if there is any wireless network in range and it finds absolutely none.... Now i fixed it temporarly by just reinstalling the drivers and rebooting 100's of times before it picks back up the signal. One might say its just my internet going down or whatever.. but my father's computer stays up steady not loosing a single. Anyways i would love some ideas or hints on how to fix this. Thanks in advance
~Roadblock!~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

Sounds like interference....have you tried repositioning your USB adapter...does it come with a dock that you can move around?

#3 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

it came with a flexible 3.5inch usb extender, think i should try to connect it to that and position it towards the router?

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

it came with a flexible 3.5inch usb extender, think i should try to connect it to that and position it towards the router?

Definitely worth a shot brother.

#5 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

Well, if it happens only to you, it might mean that the problem is on your wireless device.
My first guess would be that there is some kind of structural (logical) problem with your network. I mean, it could be that because you are in the second floor, you have a concrete floor with a electrical system and pipes going around. All that interferes with the signal.
Then again, if there are too many devices conected, the signal looses power (I have noticed this to happen oftenly, but physically it shouldn't, as far as i know).
If that doesn't solve your problem:
Maybe you could try checking if the usb device is working properly or nor (i mean, if it is new, go to the store and change it, lol). If it keeps happening, it could be that some of your devices have compatibility problems, or that your OS doesn´t support that device, etc.
Unfortunately, I can't give you more advice than this

PS: it would be better if you put more details of your environment, like comp. specs, computers conected to the network, what kind of reciever (model), what modem, etc..
Posted Image

#6 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

Well its currently working right now, but im sure once i reboot or in a couple of days the same thing will happen.. :thumbsup:.... Yes im on the 2nd level of the house through a pretty thick floor, but im right above the router. I got the D-Link WUA-1340 USB adapter, theres 3 computers connected to the network using wireless technologies. I got a D-link router and a Speedstream modem...... Dont know what else to say, i guess it may just be a screwed up wireless usb device otherwise i've got no clue

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

In general, the weakest signal from a wireless device is in the direction that the antenna is pointing to. The antenna's should (ideally) be parallel to each other for best reception (this doesn't take into account any interference tho').
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

thats whats weird about it tho since its nothing i can really point downwards or towards it. What i cannot comprehend, is why its been working for the last 2 months and now it decides to do this

#9 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:05 PM

thats whats weird about it tho since its nothing i can really point downwards or towards it. What i cannot comprehend, is why its been working for the last 2 months and now it decides to do this

any luck by now?
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

Any changes with anything electrical in the house? Could be interference.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users