Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Re/user Accounts In Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hoopoe

Hoopoe

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:11 AM

I have a small problem with user accounts. Myself, my wife and my son are all set up as Computer Administrators. However in Windows Explorer I can only see my docs and my sons docs but not my wife's, she can see her docs and my son's docs but not mine. As neither of us have a problem with sharing documents and often are sat together at the computer it is annoying not to be able to open up say an XL file or a Word doc held on the others profile. We then have to fiddle about switching users. Is there an easy fix so we can both see each others docs on our computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

Not too sure about this but have you enable viewing hidden files and folder?

Please set your system to show all files.
Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.

After enabling, see if you are able to view your wife folder.

#3 Hoopoe

Hoopoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

Hi Nikas
thanks but no this doesn't work.
ATB
Mike

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:17 AM

The easiest fix is to save the files to the Shared Documents folder, that should allow you to view each others documents.

You may have elected to make your and your wife's files private, which can cause this behavior.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Hoopoe

Hoopoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:47 AM

Thanks John. I was hoping there was a better way around it though. The joys of Windows I guess :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

There are other ways around this - but the "catch" is that file sharing generally uses the permissions assigned to the Guest account when you're working with a workgroup - and the Guest account doesn't have much in the way of permissions to start with. Depending on which type of file sharing you're using (and which version of XP (Pro, MCE, Home) you'll be able to adjust shares in different ways.

All in all a gigantic PITA - but if you're up for it we can work on it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Hoopoe

Hoopoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:18 AM

Thanks John, all things considered we'll keep it stet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users