Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word Documents Install Microsoft Office

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 halfahotdog

halfahotdog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:16 AM

Hello,

I was trying to clean up my computer and was running various spyware and adware programs when I noticed everytime I open a Word Document a prompt opens which begins to download Microsoft Office.

Please help. I thank you very much in advance.

Halfahotdog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

Do you mean that the office program on your computer attempts to open?
What malware are you trying to remove? What are the symptoms?
What program(s) have you used to remove the malware?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 halfahotdog

halfahotdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for your help anyway, I restored by pc to factory settings with the recovery wizard.

But what I meant was, each time I tried to open a filed Word document, the document did not open but instead a
prompt came on the screen that said Microsoft Office was being installed. Was that a macro virus? It happened
to each of my word docs that I tried to open.

Also, one of the online virus scanners said that I had a virus (I think) named openpass.exe. Do you know what
that does to the computer? Did someone get all of my passwords and now has access to all of my financials
on the net?

Thanks,
Halfahotdog (I will be a quarter of a hot dog when my husband finds out about this mess)

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

Comments from the web:
Shows passwords overwrited by *. Finding it on your computer means that your computer is infected with Trojan and crucial data could be endangered or even lost.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This malicious application is a trojan, but not a password capturer. Open Pass specializes in one thing: it simply operates with login fields of many computers. When a user enters his or her password in such fields, this spyware doesn't allow the computer to make it invisible by showing '*' symbols. This method may often lead to losses of different private information, that's why detecting and removing Open Pass as soon as possible would be a wise decision.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following behaviors have been observed for this object:
Installs programs.
Deletes programs.
Invokes dll components.
Creates Run Keys.
Runs other programs.

It is always a good idea to change passwords after a serious infection. You never know for sure what was on your computer or what info was passed on.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 halfahotdog

halfahotdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

Thanks Buddy215.

After I found this trojan, I used the Recovery Wizard and stripped my pc down to factory installation status.

Would this have totally removed the openpass.exe?

Thanks,
h

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

Best way to find if any malware is on your computer is to run these top of the line programs. Here are the links to Kaspersky online scanner and Super Antispyware. You can use the Super Antispyware program that is free for home users. It is a great program and all you have to do is update every week or so.

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users