Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast Email Failure: Other Victims?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 P220ST

P220ST

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

I've recently discovered that Comcast, my ISP/Email Server has failed to transmit numerous emails both to and from my account. I have received no notification of any problem from Comcast. The failures represent a small percentage of the total emails associated with my account. The absolute number is well over thirty, but I have no means of being accurate. Comcast is denying any responsibility. The problem for me seems to have started in mid-May. Sent items show up normally in your "Sent Items" box (name depends on email client; I happen to use Outlook Express). Items ostensibly delivered to you have no trace nor notification, i.e you don't have a clue until someone complains that you are ignoring them.

The symptoms of my dilemma are strikingly similar to those described in the debacle that besieged England's ISP, Tiscali last month. Here's The Telegraph's story about Tiscali.

Has anyone else with Comcast as their ISP/email server had problems with their email being sent or delivered?

Take Care,
-P220ST
HARDWARE
CoolerMaster WaveMaster TAC-T01 Mid-Tower, Intel D975XBX2KR Bad Axe 2 Mobo, Intel® Core™2 Quad 2.4GHz Q6600 CPU, Corsair 4GB [2(2 x 1GB kit)] 5300 DDR2 SDRAM, eVGA e-GeForce 8800GT AKIMBO 512MB SC, Hauppauge HVR-1600, PreSonus Firebox Firewire audio interface/sound card, 4 Seagate 320GB 7200.10 16MB cache HDDs. Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1TB External Backup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:51 AM

Hey P220ST....I had this problem with Comcast several months ago...but the issue apparently resolved itself a few weeks after I called them. They couldn't offer me an explanation as to why it happened. I never pursued it any further. (I was using OUTLOOK at the time.)

Hope you find a resolution....I know I had some important emails lost during that time. Its extremely frustrating....especially when you consider how much is paid for the service!!

Moderator Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 29 June 2007 - 09:36 AM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

I've never had any problems with my Comcast mail.
You might want to post about your problem in the Comcast help forums-it's only for Comcast customers, and there may be someone there who can help you.

You can sign in HERE, after sign in you'll have to choose a user name if you have never posted there.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

I dont use their mail but they boot me about twice a dayand have booted me in the past for up to a week because "Your Modem isn't a Comcast modem." I wonder why Im not going to rent a $60 modem for $5 a month which is exactly the same or older and slower then the one I currently own.

BTW is it just me or is Cable Internet overpriced?

Edited by BlackSpyder, 29 June 2007 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image

#5 brewzer400

brewzer400

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

the biggest problem that comes up is when using a mail client there is no way for your ISP to identify WHERE exactly the problem is coming from. It may be your outlook isn't properly communicating with the webmail server that comcast is providing. or it may be with the webmail server itself, but when you're using a client that basically is a go-between for your computer and Comcast's mailserver, then there is an extra variable that is uncheckable by comcast. We really have very little support information available to us to help with any problems with outlook express or outlook or windows mail, as those are technically microsoft products. The only way we can usually help with that is we actually have to go through microsoft forums while you're on the phone with us, so we'd be looking at the same things you'd have access to in regards to that.
I'm not saying your outlook express is the problem, but when you add a variable in that we don't have control over, and our e-mail diagnostic software verifies that using your account to send an email to itself (thusly testing both the ability for your account to send and recieve email) works fine. we really dont have much other support available to us.

If it's the webmail itself that's doing it as well though... then you need to call back and make sure to state that it's the webmail that's causing it, then you'll get sent to the "support desk" which are the people with all the administrative access to the big boys. who will then contact the Main point of contact where they can actually go indepth on our servers testing specifically to your account.

So my advice would be to first off call microsoft about this since you're using their client to access the webmail server, second if microsoft has no better recommendations, try the webmail see if it's still not going through, and then get ahold of comcast again, and get up to the "support/help desk"
One By one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users