Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Card Can't Pull Good Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TJMax

TJMax

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:42 AM

This is my first post here--My brother (Swobo96) has received excellent help on this board, and I'm hoping I can get involved in the community here and pick your brains to solve my own computer woes. :thumbsup:

I recently bought an old P3 tower for cheap on Ebay, bought a wireless card separately and connected them to a 15" monitor I bought for $5 a while back, hooked up a spare keyboard, mouse and speakers and voila, a computer for my bedroom that can connect through my wireless router!

...Or not. I had the wireless connection working two days ago, first without encryption and then running fine with WEP enabled. I was even able to share directories from my main Athlon machine. Now, with or without encryption my P3's wireless card is unable to pull a good IP address from the router and of course ends up assigning itself a 169 address. My signal strength is great, I'm using just one 10 digit hexadecimal WEP key and have the access list of MAC addresses disabled ("allow all").

Again, it was working fine before and I've tried resetting the router to no avail. What else should I be looking for?

Thanks!

--T.J.

Edited by TJMax, 29 June 2007 - 12:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:38 AM

Have you tried tried ipconfig /release and restarting your computer? Do not use the ipconfig /renew Allow the router to configure the IP.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:09 AM

Forgot to mention, yeah I tried that... Wait, no. I released it, then tried to manually renew. Let me try it your way... Nope. :thumbsup: When I do the ipconfig /release, it just stays on a 0 IP address. Five minutes went by without even a switch back to the 169 address.

Thanks for the quick reply! Any and all help is much appreciated...

--T.J.

Edited by TJMax, 29 June 2007 - 02:19 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hmm. 169 generally refers to no signal. Have you checked your Device Manager to see if your NIC is functioning properly.

#5 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

Yep, the wireless card is fine in the device manager, and I'm getting a good connection minus the IP address. Here's what I'm seeing...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

From what I see your card does not see the router (No Gateway IP), and your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

#7 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:54 AM

Hmm, okay... So even though I'm getting the router's signal and it says I'm connected, my card isn't actually seeing the router, correct? How should I troubleshoot from here?

Thanks again!

--T.J.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:22 PM

I am not familiar with that wifi card but it looks like the cards strength not the router. Did you make sure your computer is on the same work group and have a unique user name?

#9 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:06 PM

I am not familiar with that wifi card but it looks like the cards strength not the router. Did you make sure your computer is on the same work group and have a unique user name?

Yep, and the network sharing was working fine on Wednesday when the card was pulling a good IP address and could connect to both the internet and my living room computer. Right now though, I can't establish a wireless connection through which data can be transferred, so my workgroup and computer names shouldn't be coming into play yet, correct?

--T.J.

#10 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

What did you do before it started behaving strange?
Besides the Gateway problem (should be 255.255.255.0, not 255.255.0.0), my guess is that you may have an internal IP conflict. The device seems to be working properly (it even comunicates), so probably the problem is in your computer's configuration. I would try a ipconfig/ release again and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, maybe you could force the IP on the card.
Posted Image

#11 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:37 PM

I'll try releasing the IP address at the DOS prompt again, but how do I go about forcing an IP address on the card?

Thanks!

--T.J.

Edit: No dice on the release, just sits on a 0 IP address.
Edit 2: Oh, I forgot: All I did after it was working and before it stopped working was shut the machine down for the night. It also installed some Windows updates around this time. Hmm...

Edited by TJMax, 29 June 2007 - 04:46 PM.

#12 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

I also tried disabling the wireless card, stopping and restarting the DHCP service and resetting the computer. That didn't work, so I tried the automatic Repair function, but again the error it reported was inability to pull an IP address.

--T.J.

#13 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

Latest update: I began approaching the problem the same way I would if a regular NIC card were stuck on a 169 IP address, but this led to playing with registry keys and I seem to have damaged the OS. Posted Image The computer still boots and works fine, but hangs on the shutdown screen when I try to turn it off or reset it, and therefore can't complete a system restore. I don't have any recovery disks with this computer (again, just a P3 I got cheap on Ebay) but I do have an old copy of XP that I'm not running on any other computers right now. I might reformat and install from this Windows CD, then try to get the Wireless working again... But I'm also afraid of losing drivers. Oh well, I don't need the NIC drivers as I have the wireless card drivers on a CD (bought the card separately). Oh, I also tried reinstalling the wireless card drivers, no dice.

Again, all the help I've received is much appreciated, as are any further ideas... :thumbsup:

--T.J.

Edited by TJMax, 29 June 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#14 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

Latest update: I began approaching the problem the same way I would if a regular NIC card were stuck on a 169 IP address, but this led to playing with registry keys and I seem to have damaged the OS. Posted Image The computer still boots and works fine, but hangs on the shutdown screen when I try to turn it off or reset it, and therefore can't complete a system restore. I don't have any recovery disks with this computer (again, just a P3 I got cheap on Ebay) but I do have an old copy of XP that I'm not running on any other computers right now. I might reformat and install from this Windows CD, then try to get the Wireless working again... But I'm also afraid of losing drivers. Oh well, I don't need the NIC drivers as I have the wireless card drivers on a CD (bought the card separately). Oh, I also tried reinstalling the wireless card drivers, no dice.

Again, all the help I've received is much appreciated, as are any further ideas... :thumbsup:

--T.J.

make a backup of the registry (and a restore point as well) before installing the wireless :D
Posted Image

#15 TJMax

TJMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:51 AM

Eureka! I installed my own copy of XP (again, not running on any other computers), then brought this P3 into the living room to directly connect to the modem (which would have been a good idea to start with) and was able to download all of my Windows updates (took a while, as this copy of XP is from late 2001). Finally got SP2 installed, and voila, the wireless works now.

Thanks a million for all the help. I'll try to lurk the site, to see if I can be of any assistance to anyone...

--T.J.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users