Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question. Vista compatible programs?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 aq2

aq2

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

Im thinking about making the jump...... Still not ready but anyway. Here is the question.

Are these programs working good with vista?

AVG antivirus free version
Comodo Firewall
Firefox
Spybot SD
Google Earth
Winamp
Thunderbird

Thats a few that im worried about not working good with vista? Any word if they are working good with vista?

I know some games are working and some are not which is mainly drivers issues of video cards

Thanks

Edited by aq2, 28 June 2007 - 11:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:31 AM

Hi, before worring too much about programs have you checked out the Vista update advisor download?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...mg_id=10008VHb1

The programs you have mentioned that work ok on my machine are AVG,FireFox,Google Earth the rest I dont know. As for games be warned some games do not like Vista and run a lot slower under Vista.
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:51 AM

Comodo is due to release a Vista firewall shortly, I've had issues with the beta for it and have stopped using it. Jetico claims to be Vista compatible - but it's not free.

Thunderbird still isn't fully Vista compatible, but it launches and runs quite well as long as you install it in compatibility mode for SP2 and Run As Administrator. I've been using this workaround since June without issues (although I have to manually launch Thunderbird every time that I reboot - it won't automatically start up because it's blocked as a startup by Windows Defender)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 dustyboots

dustyboots

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:51 PM

Iv had Vista for about 2 months now and I use Spybot SD,Goggle Earth and Winamp pro all from wireless connection(I'm on the road all the time) and haven't had any issue with them yet. :huh:

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

Avast anti virus free is fully compatible with vista.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:34 AM

Thunderbird doesn't work with Vista? I haven't had any problems with it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

I have just bought a new laptop that came with Vista preinstalled, so the Microsoft site suggested by Monty007, doesn't provide all the answers.

I use both IE7 and the latest version of Firefox, using wireless, and I have noticed that Vista does seem to be running quite slowly. As yet, I have not downloaded and software, or even anti virus / spyware etc.

Additionally, Vista comes with a "Problem Reports and Solutions" detection thingy. I have only had this laptop since Friday, and already the following problems are notified :

Vista Problem Reporting and Solutions (copied 2 july)

Connection Manager Control Panel Applet
(Program compatibility problem
Date 2007/07/01 01:29 AM
Files that help describe the problem : appcompat.txt)

(I have not included the above details in italics for the rest of them – so it’s really just to show an example.)

Superfetch (what is this ?)
Microsoft® Help and Support ( ..?? !! now that's what I call efficient..!)
HP QuickPlay
Flash UltraShim (what is this ?)
Autorun.exe
Connection Manager Control Panel Applet

WINDOWS PROBLEM SHUT DOWN UNEXPECTEDLY
PROBLEM EVENT NAME: BLUESCREEN
DATE 2007/06/28 (This happened on the day of purchase, and was the first thing to happen when I turned my laptop on..?)

Vista also comes with Norton (trial version) which I am reluctant to install due to past posts about issues with Norton. And what about Windows Firewall ? I also recall that this should be disabled?

So, is Vista all it's really cracked up to be??

Nat

XP Professional FIrefox 3

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:14 AM

Nat -

even a new PC may not have all of the latest drivers, especially for Vista.

Have you gone to the manufacturer's website to see if there are newer drivers for your system?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:42 AM

We'll need the details of the problem reports to help to fix them. The one that you've posted points to a compatibility problem with something that's installed on the system - right clicking on the program's .exe file, selecting Properties, then selecting the Compatibility tab may help. Once in the tab, select "Run as XP SP2" from the drop down, and "Run as administrator" further down the page. If the Run as Adminstrator is greyed out, you may have to right click on the exe file and select "Run as Administrator" each time you launch it.

Since this says that there was a Bluescreen event (BSOD), I'd suspect a driver issue. Try visiting DriverAgent.com to see what drivers need updating (you don't have to pay for the service, you only need the information that the report provides). Here's a link to the Firefox in Vista page: http://www.driveragent.com/scan_step1.php?...1de7e6e2fb2df0b Let us know what drivers you need and we'll work on Vista compatible one's for you.

The issues with Norton are (IME) that it hogs resources, and that it can cause problems that you can't easily remedy (with it's firewall). I'd stick with a 3rd party AntiVirus solution (I use AVG Free) and pick another antispyware and firewall (don't have any recommendations for that as I use Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hi Usama

I have run the Driver Agent you suggested, but for Vista as I haven't got Firefox yet.

I have had to copy each one because I can't find a compatable screen capture - apart from Snippet, but that does not give the option for capturing scrolling windows.

There must be more drivers missing, as I can't download anything - and if I try, eg, AVG - download time is 1 hour, and then the error.

Is there another program that I can run to check more drivers?

Display adapters
Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Network Adaptors
Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

Other devices
MP780
Sound, video and game controllers
HP Bluetooth Module

System Devices
Ricoh MMC Host Controller

On another topic, how can i set IE7 to open search results etc in a new tab?

Thanks
Nat

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

Thunderbird doesn't work with Vista? I haven't had any problems with it.

Hi Mr. Alpha! I missed the above post, sorry!. My copy of Vista doesn't allow Thunderbird to launch at startup (Windows Defender blocks it as one of the startups) - that's why I mentioned it. Otherwise it runs just fine when launched manually.

But, my copy of Vista has been updated and tweaked for many months - and my copy of Thunderbird has been upgraded so many times that I've lost count. This may not be the same for fresh installations with the latest versions of the programs

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

Hi nat! We'll have to know the exact model number of your HP laptop in order to find the exact drivers that you need. In some cases you can get these drivers elsewhere, but until the exact specs are known it's a matter of "hunt and peck" to find the right drivers. The exact model for HP laptops is on the bottom of the case on a little sticker that contains your model number ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...33108&lc=en )

#13 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Hi Usama

Details:

HP Pavillion dv2500 (2554ea)
Vista Home Premium OEMAct

I have a Targus Wireless Optical Notebook Mouse, with a USB which was working fine, but now windows can't find the software. Also, whenever it does detect new hardware such as digital camera etc etc, "Unknown Device" is listed.??

I currently have no antispyware virus protection at all because I can't download anything.

I looked in Help and Support for how to Capture the screen (ALT + Prt sc or Prt sc) and neither option works. So I'm looking for one that also does scrolling screen capture.

I have to tell you that Vista is really driving me mad. So many "Errors" occur. In Event Viewer, there are the following:

Critical 1
Error 490
Warning 926
Audit Failure 409

All these problems, and the laptop is less than a week in my possession!

Is there any other info that you need ??

Thanks so much

Nat

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

Sounds like there's some serious errors here - and it'll take a while to work them out. If you're considering a restore, now would be the time to do it. If not, then double click on the Critical error and let us know what it says - it may/may not be related to the driver issues, but it's better to know before hand.

#15 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hi Usama

When you say a "RESTORE" what exactly is this, and is there a tutorial or something ?

I have resorted to using my desktop Logitech Cordless Mouse!

I will take a lok now at the Critical Errors and post them back.

What would be helpful though is an answer to the screen capture for scrolling screens...

Thabks

Nat

Edited by nat, 06 July 2007 - 07:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users