Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Saved Pages.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bratty burnette

bratty burnette

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:43 PM

After finding answers to most of my problems, I thought that I was actually going to get to do what I wanted to do. I have tried for a week to work this out.

I visit one website (www.ancestry.com) quite often. On their most of their pages, they have an option to save them on my harddrive. Problem is, I cannot find them afterwards. Whenever I save a page it says it has gone to a tempory file. It asks if I want to open the file I just saved. That is the last I see about the page. The page is saved as a .JPEG file.

I have Windows Vista Home Basics as my os. I need a little guidence on this one. Keep in mind that I am learning as I go.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:16 AM

What process do you use for saving the page (what do you click on?)?
Have you searched your hard drive for pictures or files ending in .jpeg?
What happens when you open the file that you've saved - can you see it's location there (click on Save and see where it's located)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

When I save the file, I click on the save icon that the site provides. It actually saves only the image (ie. Census) and not what is shown. A window come up to select what I want to do with file (add person to family tree, or save to my computer). I alway chose computer. Next, I get a window asking where to save file. My name *document*. I click save and get a window that says 'For your computer's securitythis file was saved to the Temporary Intenet Files folder., do you want to open this folder?

After clicking yes the screen goes to 'Local Disk (C:) * Documents * Temproary Internet Files *Virtualized. The virtualized folder says it is empty.

I know the file has been saved because if I name another file the same thing, it already has been saved. If I search using search in startup, it can't be found. I have used file name .jpeg, or file name only.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

This may sound like the long way around...but when you want to save the page, right click on it, click "create" a shortcut (it will save the webpage to your desktop).
Now right click on an open spot on your desktop. Click on 'new folder'. Name the folder so you know what it holds. Drag and drop the webpage (or, copy/paste) it into your new folder.

You can put that folder in your Documents, if you'd like.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

Hi JACEE,

I did as suggested. It still went to a temporary folder. There was a big difference. I found it! I sometimes wonder if this computer and Vista are in cohoots to see how long it will take me to give up. (Sorry, I don't get out much.) Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users