Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing Monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ravie13

Ravie13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

Last night my monitor began flashing. I thought it was maybe something wrong with the computer and the graphics display because it only seemed to happen when I was using Windows Explorer and changing from "List" view to "Thumbnail" view when in a pictures directory. The monitor would display the thumbnails but flash to black a few times.

I have a two monitor system so I dragged the folders over to the other monitor to see if it was the system but it worked fine on the other display.

I restarted the computer but I'm still having the same problem. My main display flashes to black a few times whenever I open a new window or change to thumbnail view.

Can anyone offer any troubleshooting advice?

I'm running Windows XP Professional and the computer is less than a month old. Both monitors are VGA monitors connected to a DVI adapters into the same video card. And everything was working fine until yesterday. The monitor doesn't flash randomly - just when the display changes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

Hello there,
Try switching the monitor ports, ie; put your second monitor on the first monitor port and the first on teh second and if the same monitor is flashing than its teh monitor, if the other one (the one on the first port) is, than it's the port.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 Ravie13

Ravie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:42 AM

I switched the monitor plugins on the back of the card and now the 2nd monitor is flashing. So if this means it's the port - what do I do now?

#4 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

what refresh rate are you running the monitor at? lowering it might help sometimes.

#5 Ravie13

Ravie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:33 PM

I don't know - how do I check?

#6 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:45 PM

If you use xp, you can go to display properties, settings, advanced, and then monitor. I imagine other versions of windows would be similar.

You can also check in your graphics card control settings. If you use ATI, it's in the "display's manager" section of the catalyst control center. Nvidia probably has something similar. Try setting it to 60 if it isn't already, and see if that helps your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users