Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything Crashes When I Run A Game

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kraziee

kraziee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

I'm running xp home sp2, and explorer.exe, DrWatsonPostmordemDebugger, AIM, & MSN crash whenever I try to run a game. So recently I did a non-destructive format, so that put me back on sp1. So when it was finished, I ran the game and it worked perfectly. Then came the updates... It still worked fine until last nights updates, I know one of these things is causing the error, since I didnt install anything new between now and last night. Thanks to the update history on Microsoft, I got the list of the programs that were installed. Could you guys look at it and tell me if theres a known error with any of these updates? I'm posting Tuesday's also because it's mainly full of security updates, and I remember reading something that said those updates could be the problem. If you guys need any more info, just post and I'll get it for you.

Wednesday:
Office 2003 Security Update for Office 2003 (KB924424)
Office 2003 Update for Office 2003 (KB919029)
Windows XP Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
Office 2003 Security Update for Office 2003 (KB914455)
Office 2003 Security Update for Office 2003 (KB934180)
Office 2003 Security Update for Outlook 2003 (KB924085)
Windows XP S3 Graphics, Inc. - Video - VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
Office 2003 Security Update for Word 2003 (KB934181)
Office 2003 Update for Office 2003 (KB925251)
Windows XP Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399
Windows XP VIA Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Office 2003 Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB933666)
Office 2003 Update for Office 2003 (KB923097)
Office 2003 Update for PowerPoint 2003 (KB933669)
Office 2003 Security Update for Office 2003 (KB920813)

Tuesday:
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB929969)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows (KB923723
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB924667)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB924496)
Office 2003 Office 2003 Service Pack 2
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB927891)
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB931836)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)
Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB933566)
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB910437)

Edited by kraziee, 28 June 2007 - 09:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:28 AM

Just curious, but what game is it? I had the same trouble with Titan Quest, then TQ came out with an update to fix it. Maybe you should go look to see if there is an update for your game.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:11 AM

Since the problem doesn't occur with SP1, but does with SP2 - this suggests that your drivers aren't updated/compatible with SP2. I'd suggest updating your drivers to SP2 compatible versions before installing SP2. And, FWIW, other problems with SP2 are usually related to malware, so I'd suggest a scan to ensure that something hasn't snuck onto your system (free scan: http://safety.live.com) The malware scenario isn't very likely since you've reinstalled XP recently - but if the CD was infected, or you've been connected to the web there's still a chance of an infection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 kraziee

kraziee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:19 AM

Wildabeast, I can run SOME games but the most games I have problems with are ones that have gameguard as their anti-hacking system, like maplestory, gunbound, FlyFF, soldier front, etc.

usama, I've tried updating the drivers, and I've already scanned my system with 3 types of antivirus/spyware programs.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:34 AM

Try searching your system for files ending in .dmp and .mdmp. Take the most recent one and follow this guide: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Post the results back here and we'll get down to some serious troubleshooting. :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kraziee

kraziee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

Theres a problem with that usasma, I don't get BSOD. explorer.exe, drwatson, and some of the major apps that I have on at the time crash. I open up task manager, end the drwatson process, and then explorer.exe reloads itself and everythings back to normal, besides the fact that I cant run my game.

Edited by kraziee, 30 June 2007 - 03:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users