Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Intiation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

I have been away for several days. In trying to bootup the computer I get a CPU init failure indication. I have tried the CMOS reset and disconnected the graphics card to attempt to boot. What would be the cause and any suggestions on how to fix it.

I have the following:
ASUS Crosshair MoBo
AMD Athalon 64 FX dual core
Corsair 620 PSU
BFG 8800 GTS GPU
2 x 1 gig OCZ RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

It's either a defective CPU (which is rare) or a defective motherboard. I would see if someone has either of those that you can borrow to test it out and determine the culprit.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 Russsl

Russsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

This seems to be a problem with AMD cpus and ASUS mobos. The CPU INIT failure indication shows on my mobo LCD poster and that's how I came up with the failure type. To confirm the cpu, AMD benched and checked my processor and declared it functional.

In my research, this has happened to several others. Most of them had AMD/ASUS with DDR2 memory combinations. The most common cure is to remove most of your memory and try to boot your system off a single RAM module. If it doesn't boot, swap the RAM modules and try again until it boots. if it doesn't, I can't help you from this point.

If it boots, restart and get into the BIOS and make sure you had the original settings. If you are running OCZ 1gb modules you may want to up the DDR2 voltage to 2.2v before you install the second module. Shut it down and add the next RAM module and then boot up again. Keep doing this until it fails in POST or you have all your memory modules reinstalled.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:08 AM

There is nothing AMD specific about the CPU INIT error. This is ASUS' visual version of a beep code. A buddy of mine got the same error on his Striker Extreme and Core 2 Duo. On his machine the problem was a DOA RAM stick.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 22 July 2007 - 02:08 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users