Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads Stall, Streaming Stalls, Internet Pages Stall Using Vista

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kpatte1

kpatte1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

I am having trouble with downloads or streaming, whether it is with I.E 7 or Netscape, or from Limewire. I am using window vista home premium on brand new computers already installed, with all updates installed. All downloads and streaming video either stop just after onset, or at some point after at times at the 99 % complete time.
Per HP and Gateway tech support I have; reset I.E 7, deleted all cache, browsing histories, shut down all firewalls, phishing, spam and it still won't complete a download or stream. I have tried it in I.E 7 safe mode and computer safe mode, no luck. By the way the complete loading of this page has stopped also, the green load bar has been stuck near the end since I started typing this note, saying waiting for HTTP. any suggestions. From anyone. It does this on both my laptop and this home computer, both Vista less than 60 days old. This computer runs Norton, laptop run Mcaffee. The techs are dumb founded, they told me to contact Microsoft.
Now I am told by Microsoft that they will only assist me if I pay them $80.00 per hour for their tech support, on a computer less than 60 days old.
I have been on computers since early 80's. While trying to send this email to Microsoft the transfer stopped shortly after beginning. By the way I am using Verizon DSL no problems prior with my old windows xp system . This is a real scam. Why canít we have the old xp systems still for sale, I would trade these in, in a heart beat.
Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

Odd that it would be both PC's.

HP's and Gateway's have different sets of pre-loaded software, so those two systems are certainly not identically configured, that's for sure.

Question:

have you re-set the DSL modem? (Unplug/shut off for a moment or so, then power it back on and wait until it re-connects.)

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 kpatte1

kpatte1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:56 PM

i will give that a try, also the DSL is running through a router, Belkin, obviously the laptop is on wireless.

#4 kpatte1

kpatte1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:20 PM

I shut the DSL off 1st, then turned it back on. I then went to You Tube and picked a long clip, the stream lasted about 1 minute then shut off.
I then shut off and unplugged the DSL. I plugged it back in, turned it back on went to You tube again was able to stream short clips, about 1 minute, long clips hung up againg and stopped less than half way through. thanks J(ohnwho) for the advise though, if you have any other advise, i am listening.
Kevin

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

Am I understanding that you have the DSL modem and a Belkin router?

I'm assuming you've re-set both. (Powered off, wait, powered back on.)

Can you bypass the router and plug your desktop (or laptop) directly into the DSL modem?

Does that make any difference?

I'm just trying to eliminate some possibilities that may not have been tried by the HP and Gateway folks.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:30 PM

Just noticed that on the big blue marble,

we are neighbors.

:huh:

#7 kpatte1

kpatte1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:56 PM

After reading your message I followed up with the router shut off also and re-did the complete turn off and shut off. Went back to you tube and attempted to stream, only got about 1/4 into the stream and it stopped again, ( i.e. the stream stopped and video stopped at the stream stop point).
Yea we are neighbors, I saw your brief bio and thought I would add mine.
Alright some of the simple stuff has been eliminated, I think it is a conflict issue with one or more prepackaged programs from Gateway and HP, but i could very easily be way off base.
I was also reading about the ongoing saga with Vista issues. Ball state University is a primary developer for the program, they have great information on this new system.
Again without keeping you from other issues, I see this a either 1-a complex compatibility issues, 2-something really simple. my luck it will be both, LOL, Thanks again Johnwho.
:huh:

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:59 PM

Well, it was worth a try.

Did you try by-passing the router, too?

#9 bratty burnette

bratty burnette

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

I also have webpages stalling. I have a Westell DSL modem. My green line at the bottom of the screen fills all of the way over, but the webpage stops loading. I have an eMachines computer about two months old. I have tried everything I could think of including unplugging my modem to reset it.

I just wanted you to know that you don't have an isolated problem. (Helps a lot doesn't it?)

#10 kpatte1

kpatte1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

Not yet, that is a little effort, due to the hour and my job tomorrow, I will get that done tomorrow. I will run direct from DSL modem to computer, cutting the wireless router out and see what happens, will be back on the net tormorrow. Hope your available. thanks again Johnwho :huh:

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

No problem.

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here,

so you really shouldn't have to wait for me.

Something else you could try would be to take that laptop to some other wireless access point and try a download, or another network where you can plug it in as a wired workstation.

Just don't do anything on an unsecured network that involves passwords, etc. or would allow access to your PC. (Turn off shared files and printers, for example.)

Edited by JohnWho, 28 June 2007 - 09:20 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:13 AM

I'd suggest trying this free scan to rule out malware corrupting your current protection package: http://safety.live.com

While Limewire is an excellent program, some of the downloads aren't the nicest things around.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:42 AM

Good suggestion -

I missed the "limewire" mention.

#14 kpatte1

kpatte1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:07 AM

The problem has been "sole ved" (as Borat would say). Thanks to Johnwho , the problem lies with the wireless router. Simply direct connecting my DSL to the computer took care of the issues. So now we know what the barrier is, have you ever heard about this happening and any suggestions to overcome the problem. Personally I would not have thought the router would have interfered that much. The router is the Belkin Basic model.
I may just pickup a splitter for the DSL and permanently direct connect my home computer, and connect the split to the router for basic internet on my laptop.
Thanks big time. :huh: :huh:

#15 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

Ah, we've isolated the problem. At least you can get things done. Can't you also plug that notebook into the DSL modem for downloads, too?

There are people here that can configure a router in their sleep, kpatte1, so I'd suggest you hang in a bit.

Hopefully, one of them will be able to help you configure it. This problem, now that we've isolated it, may be resolved easily with a setting change.

Sorry I'm not as proficient on routers or I'd help walk you through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users